The 10 best songs to hear when sad are likely those that make you feel better, or at the very least, empathize with your feelings. These 10 songs to hear when you're sad may not make you happy, but at least you'll know you're not alone.
- "Everybody Hurts" R.E.M. This is one of those rare, straight forward Michael Stipe songs. If you feel bad, he suggests, you're certainly not alone.
- "Hurt So Bad" Little Anthony and the Imperials. This oldie puts sad feelings in the simplest form. Man, it really hurts!
- "Crying" Roy Orbison. When you're sad, tears come right along with that feeling. And nobody captures that emotion better than Roy Orbison.
- "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" Bee Gees. Sadness can make you feel like a broken thing which can never be fixed. The brothers Gibb know all about that tough position.
- "Deacon Blues" Steely Dan. Sympathy has never been a strong point for this usually sarcastic duo. But, as the song states, they need a name when they lose. Call 'em Deacon Blues.
- "Sad Songs (Say So Much)" Elton John. Actually, sad songs don't say much at all. They just seem to understand our plight.
- "I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues" Elton John. Yes, it's another Elton John song, one that has often been used in commercials. But this guy knows his way around experiencing the blues.
- "Manic Depression" Jimi Hendrix. Even while getting medical on us, when Jimi takes over, he knows how to diagnose the problem.
- "I Know It's Over" The Smiths. Okay. Every Smiths song is a sad song. But this one is particularly poignant.
- "Hurt" Johnny Cash. Sometimes it's not the song, but the way the song is performed. In this instance, frail, old Johnny Cash captures this Nine Inch Nails track perfectly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.