10 Best Songs To Listen To When You're Depressed
When you’re down it’s important to know the 10 best songs to listen to when you’re depressed. Some people go to the happy tunes to cheer them up, but when you’re really depressed and just want to wallow, these are the best tunes around to get right into your mood.
- "Courage" by Sarah Polley. This hip and haunting tune is one of the best songs to listen to you when you’re depressed. The easy background track and Polley’s dissonant vocals lends itself perfectly to a somber mood.
- "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star. “I look to you and I see nothing, I look to you to see the truth.” Star’s earthy vocals, the sweet guitar and the sparse tambourine make this one of the best songs to listen to when you’re depressed.
- "White Flag" by Dido. From the ethereal songstress, Dido, comes this sad end-of-love tune. Professing her undying love for an ended relationship she rages against the white flag of surrender. The sentiment makes this one of the best songs to listen to when you’re depressed.
- "Gloomy Sunday" by Sarah McLachlan. The iconic piano playing songstress penned this song about suicide. “Not where the black coach of sorrow has taken you, angels have no thought of ever returning you.” The haunting tune and the subject matter make this one of the best songs to listen to when you’re depressed.
- "What Sarah Said" by Death Cab for Cutie. A song for perspective, this tune from the indie darlings, Death Cab for Cutie is about watching a loved one pass. “But I’m thinking of what Sarah said that ‘love is watching someone die.’ So who’s going to watch you die.”
- "Why" by Annie Lennox. One of the queens of a sad song, Annie Lennox’s Why is one of the best songs to listen to when you’re depressed. The unrelenting question echos the question that we all ask all the time: why?
- "Send in the Clowns" by Judy Collins. From Stephen Sondheim’s musical A Little Night Music comes one of the most iconic musical theatre songs ever to come off the stage. Send in the Clowns is a tune about disappointment and missed love. Many have done it since but Collins’ original angelic version is the most heartbreaking.
- "I Need You So Much Closer" by Wilco. This sad tune from indie band, Wilco has been sampled in many television shows and movies. The neediness of the lyrics make this one of the best songs to listen to when you’re depressed.
- "Fix You" by Coldplay. “When you try your best but you don’t succeed, when you get what you want but not what you need, when you feel so tired but you can’t sleep.” A song about desperation from one of the most popular bands recording today is also one of the best songs to listen to when you’re depressed.
- "Good Woman" by Cat Power. This indie darling has one of the earthiest and most ethereal voices in recording. This tune about love and loss is one of the best songs to listen to when you’re depressed.