10 Best Soul Food Restaurants In NYC
If you're in the mood for some good soul food, check out the top 10 best soul food restaurants in NYC. New York has some of the best restaurants in the country, and their soul food is no exception to that. Read on to see what the restaurants are and why they're ranked as high as they are. After your first visit at one of these establishments, you will soon become a regular.
Sylvia's Queen of Soul Food. Sylvia's tops the list of the 10 best soul food restaurants in NYC. It's world famous for their barbecue ribs. Oftentimes, there are lines of people that are waiting for a table. It's been opened since 1962, and was one of the first authentic soul food restaurants in NYC. Sylvia's: 328 Malcolm X Boulevard, New York, NY 10027.
- Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too. Many consider Miss Mamie's to have the best fried chicken in the whole state. It's not a fancy restaurant, but the cooking is both simple and authentic. It's a great place to go and enjoy true soul food. Miss Mamie's Spoonbread Too: 366 West 110th Street, New York, NY 10025.
- Amy Ruth's. This restaurant makes the list of the best soul food restaurants in NYC because it serves great comfort soul food. All of the meals that are cooked were learned from the owner's grandmother, Amy Ruth, who was an Alabama-native. The restaurant is most notable for naming meals after famous people that have visited. Amy Ruth's: 113 West 116th St., New York, NY 10026.
- Chat 'n Chew. This restaurant is run by the notable Andrew Silverman. It serves authentic soul food, but with an inventive twist. One of the most popular items on the menu is a sandwich that is referred to as "Thanksgiving on a Roll". Chat n' Chew: 10 East 16th St., New York, NY 10003
- Londel's Restaurant. Londel's is one of the best soul food restaurants in NYC because it not only serves great food, but it also has live jazz music on the weekends. One of the most delectable items on the menu is the blackened catfish and collard greens. The place is also referred to as a supper club. Londel's: 2620 Frederick Douglas Blvd., New York, NY 10030.
- Rack & Soul. Rack & Soul specializes in soul food classics, as well as wood-smoked barbecue. They even have phenomenal dessert. Along with this, they offer take-out, delivery, and catering. A great dish to try is the fried craw fish tails with white remoulade sauce. Rack & Soul: 258 West 109th St., New York, NY 10025.
- Africana Soul Food Restaurant. This is one of the best soul food restaurants in NYC because it adds a Nigerian twist to traditional soul food. Many of the dishes are super spicy, but they are an amazing treat. Africana Soul Food Restaurant: 14612 Liberty Ave., Queens, NY 11435.
- Burgandy's Cafe. Despite not being a household name, Burgandy's is an amazing restaurant that keeps people coming back time and time again. Their soul food is great, as is their service. Throughout the place, there are pictures of the staff with different artists. It's a cool place that's worth checking out. Burgandy's Cafe: 15335 Hillside Ave., New York, NY 11432.
- The Den. This establishment has amazing soul food. They also have cool cocktails with creative names. The place is decked out with fun decor, and has great music in the background. For these reasons, it's made the list of the best soul food restaurants in NYC. The Den: 2150 5th Ave., New York, NY 10037.
Soul Fixins. This place is great for those that are looking for simple, yet authentic soul food. Enjoy your Southern cuisine, because this place serves some of the best. Soul Fixins: 225 W. 28th St., New York, NY 10001.