10 Best Soulful Christmas Songs
Christmas is a time of joy and celebration, and here are the 10 best soulful Christmas songs we could find to spruce up your holiday spirit. Soul music is usually R&B and Motown, but there are other sources. Christmas songs are also timeless just as music often is, so there is no particular time frame in our list. Our list is made up of songs that will touch your soul.
- "Silent Night" by Mariah Carey tops our list of 10 best soulful Christmas songs. This is the classic heard for centuries, but you won't really feel the song until you feel Carey's soulful and sensual voice give the song a life you may not have known it had. There's nothing silent here in this 1994 song from her Merry Christmas album.
- "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by the Jackson five, is another remake of a classic song. This is from when the Jackson's were cute kids, but they still belted out a soulful version of this classic. This is soulful because it captures the essence of children experiencing Christmas.
- "Boot-Off," by Bootsy Collins, is a humorous remake of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer. The song was released in 2006, and has a soulful feel along with the humor. you will feel Christmas between the laughs.
- "The Christmas Song," by Brian McNight is another in our list of holiday remakes. Most good Christmas songs get redone countless times anyway. But McKnight is a great soul singer and he puts a lot of soul into this old song that is on his 2008 album.
- "This Christmas (Could be the one)" by Ledisi is a great romantic soulful song. The song is about wanting one's lover at Christmas time, and Ledisi offers up a slow burning soulful and sensual song that could get you in the mood for many things other than the holiday season.
- "White Christmas" by Elvis and many others is on our list because of its popularity with singers. The song is mournful, sad, soulful and one that brings up feelings many can relate to. It has a thoughtful vibe, but the singer is going to have a blue blue Christmas without the one they love.
- "Soul Santa," by Brook Benton is a soulful tune about the one bringing gifts at Christmas. This rendition is soulful and touching emotionally, grabbing at all the feelings of the Christmas season, whether happy or sad.
- "Auld Lang Syne," by Lou Rawls gives a heavy R&B feel to this Christmas song. The song is more about new year's, but anything by Rawls is going to be soulful and this one certainly is.
- "Ill Be Home for Christmas," by The Isley Brothers, is yet another Christmas classic with strong soul roots. The song has been performed by many, but perhaps none as soulful as the Isley Brothers version. This isn't Motown, but it is soul at its best.
- "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," by Mary Mary, is another soulful and sensual version of a religious classic tune. The R&B gospel duo of Mary and Mary give the song a whole new feeling with their soulfull voices and harmonies.