Our list of the 10 best Southern gospel singers includes the most soulful voices in the genre. While there are tons of great Southern gospel singers and groups that spread the good word and provide inspiration, these singers are at the top of the crop.
- Doyle Lawson. Though Lawson began his career in the early 1960s, he formed his current group Quicksilver in 1979. Though Quicksilver has had several members over the years,Lawson has been at the helm, leading the group to win several gospel awards and a Grammy nomination. In 2010, Lawson released an album titled "Old Friends Get Together" with bluegrass gospel singers J.D. Crowe and Paul Williams.
- Brian Free. Brian Free was a part of the Gold City Quartet until he formed the group Assurance. He's won several awards since starting his career in the early 1980s. His tenor voice is considered to be one of the most recognizable among Southern gospel fans. His most popular songs are "Dare To Be a Daniel" and "Old Gospel Ship".
- Connie Hopper. This award winning Southern gospel singer was inducted into the Southern Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2010. She is a member of the Hoppers, a family group that formed in the 1950s. One of Connie Hopper's most beloved songs among gospel fans is "Mary Wrapped a Present."
- Mark Bishop. Vocalist and songwriter Mark Bishop spent 17 years with his family group, The Bishops. When the group retired in 2001, Bishop went solo and became a Southern gospel favorite with over a dozen Top 40 songs including "I Got Here As Fast As I Could" and "Can I Pray For You."
- Kirk Talley. Gospel singer and songwriter Kirk Talley has been performing for more than 25 years. He's been a member of the Hoppers, the Talley Trio and the Cathedrals. His song "He Is Here" earned a Dove Award in 1992. The same song was also nominated for a Grammy Award.
- The Booth Brothers: Ronnie and Michael Booth began performing as the Booth Brothers in 1990, along with their father Ron Sr. When their father retired, they took on Jim Brady of the Schulers. Today, the trio is considered to be a favorite among gospel fans everywhere and they have several awards to prove it. Their album "Jubilee" features songs like "The Happy Jubilee" and "In The Sweet By and By".
- Bill Gaither. Since the mid-1960s, Bill Gaither has been a staple in the Southern gospel music genre. He formed the Bill Gaither Trio during college in 1956. It wasn't until he married Gloria Sickal, who writes songs with him, that he turned to singing full time in 1967. Together they've written hundred of songs and earned multiple Gospel Music Association Awards, Grammys and other honors. Some of Gaither's include "The Family of God" and "There is Power in the Blood."
- Mosie Lister. Singer and songwriter Mosie Lister of Georgia is an award winning musician whose career spans decades. Before he set aside singing in the 1950s to focus on songwriting, he sang with the Statesmen, the Sunny South Quartet and the Melody Masters. Many of his songs have been recorded by famous gospel singers. Lister's best known songs include "His Hand In Mine" and "Then I Met The Master".
- Little Jan Buckner-Goff. "Little" Jan Buckner was a part of the Trio Wendy Bagwell and the Sunliters for over thirty years. They recorded about 100 songs. After Wendy Bagwell's death in 1996, Jan Buckner began performing with her husband Jerri Goff. She was inducted into the Southern Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2010. Her first solo project was titled "Revived" and includes the songs "Walk Around Me Jesus" and "Down The Road."
- Ivan Parker. This Southern gospel singer was once a member of the group The Singing American and the lead vocalist of The Gold City Quartet. In 1994, Parker went solo for two years then joined the Gaither Trio and later woked with Kirk Talley and Anthony Burger in the threesome called Trio. Parker went on to release more solo work beginning in 2002 which went on to be critically acclaimed. Some of his best known songs are "Just Imagine" and "It's True."
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."