10 Best Sports Bars in Philadelphia
When it comes to sports, Philadelphia is a city of highs—the 2008 Phillies' World Championship—and lows (the 25-year championship drought preceding that World Series), but when it comes to the 10 best sports bars in Philadelphia, the city has plenty of winners.
- McFadden's Ballpark. One of the best sports bars in Philadelphia is the next best thing to being in the stadium. Attached to Citizen's Bank Park in the heart of the Philadelphia sports complex, McFadden's offers 33 high-definition TVs and two projector screens as well as sports-themed cocktails like The Rally Towel or Suicide Squeeze. On big game days, McFadden's fills up quick, so arrive early. McFadden's Ballpark: 1 Citizen's Bank Park Way, Philadelphia, PA 19148.
Chickie's and Pete's. Inside the stadiums, fans fuel up on Chickie's and Pete's crab fries, but for the perfect marriage of sports and seafood, head to the restaurant's South Philly location. Chickie's and Pete's features three 14' x 10' flat screens, a solid beer list, and Play2, a state-of-the-art interactive gaming system, for sports-themed fun even when there's no game on. Chickie's and Pete's: 1526 Packer Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19145.
Fox & Hound. This spacious restaurant is the best sports bar in Center City; even the bathrooms have TVs. With eleven flatscreens, there's no bad seat in the house, and the drink specials, including $2 Tuesdays, featuring all draft beers for two bucks all day, are sure to satisfy. Fox & Hounds: 1501 Spruce Street, Philadelphia, PA 19102.
- Cavanaugh's. This Rittenhouse Square bar is consistently included among the 10 best sports bars in Philadelphia, thanks to their twelve hi-def flatscreen TVs, coverage of everything from MLB to MLS, and specials seven days a week. An added bonus of overtime games? Cavanaugh's serves its full menu everyday until 1 a.m. Cavanugh's: 1823 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103.
- The Field House. For those who enjoy a touch of class with their sports-viewing experience, The Field House inside the Pennsylvania Convention Center is the best sports bar in Philadelphia. Patrons can enjoy a braised short rib sandwich or seared Chilean salmon while watching pro and college sports on one of the bars fifty high-definition plasma TVs. The Field House: 1150 Filbert Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107.
- Coo's Sports Bar & Lounge. Anyone worried that going out for the game might mean missing some of the action need not fear, at least if Coo's is the destination. With more than 30 TVs on every wall and in every bathroom, it's darn near impossible to miss a home run or touchdown. This family-owned bar features a sports-themed menu and twenty draft beers, including several craft beers from local breweries. Coo's Sports Bar & Lounge: 822 N. Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA 19130.
South Philly Bar and Grill. A relatively new addition to the list of best sports bars in Philadelphia, this Italian Market-area bar has eleven plasma TVs (including two on the outdoor patio) keeping guests up-to-date with all the Phillies, Eagles, 76ers and Flyers action. The bar invites fantasy football leagues to use its free Wi-Fi for draft season, and there are beer and food specials during all Phillies games. South Philly Bar and Grill: 1235 E. Passyunk Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19147.
- Swift Half Pub - Located in Philly's newest hot spot, the Piazza at Schmidt's, the best sports bar in Northern Liberties offers something for sports fans year round. During NFL season, head over for Monday Night Football and enjoy $2 drafts; during the summer, Swift Half patrons get a front row seat for the Piazza's 26' x 16' outdoor LED screen, playing all 162 Phillies games. Swift Half Pub: 1001 N. 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123.
Mad River Bar & Grille. With a ten-foot projection screen and eleven high-definition TVs, Mad River is a mecca for Penn State fans in exile from Happy Valley. During Nittany Lion games, Mad River offers $2 domestic drafts, $2 mixed well drinks, and Creamery ice cream. Mad River Bar & Grille: 126 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Dark Horse Pub. To those who think "FIFA" instead of "NFL" when football is mentioned, this Irish-inspired tavern is the best sports bar in Philadelphia. EPL games are broadcast regularly at Dark Horse, which makes the experience complete with a UK-inspired menu featuring bangers and mash and steak and mushroom pie. Dark Horse Pub: 421 South 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147.