Out of all the simulation games nowadays, the 10 best strategy computer games are considered diamonds because they last forever. Strategy computer games, in general, are quite good. Yet, not all of them can make it onto the list of the best strategy computer games of all time. Want to see if your favorite strategy computer games made the cut? Well, let's find out below:
- "Side Meier's Civilization". In 1991, this turn-based strategy game was published by MicroProse. Since then, all computer strategy games have come to look upon "Civilization": from it's setting to its gameplay, the title is a manifestation of real-life strategy in almost every way. Can you create a civilization to stand the test of time?
- "Warcraft: Orcs and Humans". Specifically, "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" (the installment before the highly-popular "World of Warcraft") was rated as the fourth best of strategy computer games by MetaCritic. The series has been known, along with Sid Meier's gem, to be the flagship of Real Time Strategy (although "Civilization" utilized turns instead).
- "Age of the Empires II: The Age of Kings". With its numerous expansion packs, AoE is known as the most popular among strategy computer games in the modern day. Age of Empires combined the real-time nature of "Warcraft" with the complexity of "Civilization", and created a masterpiece of gaming.
- "StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty". The idea of a science-fiction based computer tactics game was previously laughed at by many producers of strategy computer games. Nonetheless, StarCraft was real, gritty, and an amazingly beautiful military-fiction-based rendition of AoE's gaming philosophy.
- "RollerCoaster Tycoon". The inspiring original of the "Tycoon" games, "RollerCoaster Tycoon" was very mobile and fun to play over and over again. "RollerCoaster Tycoon"'s popularity continues to this day, as well as its acclaim as one of the best strategy computer games.
- "SimCity". Anyone born in the 1980's remembers the wave created by the timeless "SimCity" among strategy computer games. Released in 1989, it was the predecessor and inspiration for later games such as "The Sims" and "Civilization".
- "The Sim"s. No one forgets this title. Loved or hated by those who knew it, "The Sims" was known as a revolutionarily simple idea with complex gameplay. Why would you want to play as another normal person? You'd have to love strategy computer games to figure out the concept.
- Fallout 2. Titled as "A Post-Apocalyptic Role Playing Game", the second edition of "Fallout" is known as a great among strategy computer games. Although the series later developed into the Role Playing/First Person Shooter genre of video games, "Fallout 2" still brings back both chills and timeless memories to its former players.
- "Rome: Total War". Named by IGN as the 4th best PC Game of All Time, the third game in the "Total War Series" amazed critics and audiences alike. The game combined both real-time and turn-based elements within its gameplay to produce a unique work of modern gaming.
- "Comand & Conquer". Alas, no list of best strategy computer games would be complete without mentioning WestWood Studios' jewel, C&C. "Command & Conquer" has sold over 30 million titles within its franchise between 1995 and 2009. "Command & Conquer: Red Alert" and the first are rated the highest on Game Rankings and MetaCritic.
It's hard to compile any list that deals with the best strategy computer games ever, mainly due to the selection process. Yes, while "Civilization" might be a timeless, thoughtful game, many others might rank "SimCity" as top in their minds. It's difficult, but you will not be disappointed with any of the best strategy computer games, not by a long shot.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.