Here are the 10 best summer drama schools in New York if it is time for you to start acting. Or, if you wish to further your acting career, a summer program is the way to go. Summer is the best time to test schools out before jumping into a two year conservatory.
- American Academy of Dramatic Arts (AADA) The American Academy of Dramatic Arts is one of the best summer drama schools in New York. They are one of the oldest drama schools in New York City. They offer a six-week summer program that teaches acting, voice and speech, vocal production and movement. American Academy of Dramatic Arts: 120 Madison Ave. New York, NY 10016. (212) 686-9244
- Atlantic Acting School Atlantic Acting School is another one of the best summer drama schools in New York. They also have a six-week summer intensive, which is comprehensive learning close to what students would learn in the first year of any conservatory. Atlantic Acting School: 76 Ninth Ave. New York, NY 10011. (212) 691-5919
- T. Schreiber Studio The T. Schreiber Studio is one of the best summer drama schools in New York. They offer a four-week summer intensive focusing on vocal production, on-camera acting and movement. T. Schreiber Studio: 151 West 26th St. New York, NY 10001. (212) 741-0209
- Stella Adler Stella Adler is one of the longest running drama schools in New York. Stella Adler offers a ten-week summer conservatory that equates to a full term at NYU Tisch School of Arts program. In the ten-week/twenty hour per week intense, you will learn Adler technique, improvisation, scene study, Shakespeare, movement and voice and speech. Stella Adler: 31 West 27th St. New York, NY 10001. (212) 689-0087
- HB Studio HB Studio is the best Uta Hagen summer drama school in New York. This six-week intensive is a rigorous program about Alexander technique, movement, speaking voice, acting technique, scene study and script analysis. HB Studio: 120 Bank St. New York, NY 10014. (212) 675-2370
- CIRCLE in the Square Theatre School Circle in the Square is not just a Broadway theater, but one of the best drama schools in New York. The school offers a seven-week summer workshop that involves two programs: a summer acting workshop or a summer musical workshop. Students' ages range from fifteen to 50 years old. Circle in the Square Theatre School: 1603 Broadway, Lowr C01. New York, NY 10019. (212) 265-3420
- The Neighborhood Playhouse The Neighborhood Playhouse is one of the best summer drama schools in New York. The Neighborhood Playhouse is a six-week summer program using Meisner technique. Students will be divided into two class of 25 students studying acting, speech and movement. The Neighborhood Playhouse: 340 E. 54th St. New York, NY 10022. (212) 688-3770
- Lee Strasberg Theater and Film Institute The Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute is one of the best summer drama schools in New York. Lee Strasberg offers a four-week mid-summer intensive and a four-week late summer intensive–two opportunities to train in method acting, acting for film and TV, character work, movement and career development. Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute: 115 E. Fifteenth St. New York, NY 10003. (212) 533-5500
- New York Film Academy (NYFA) The New York Film Academy is one of the best summer drama schools in New York. NYFA offers an eight-week hands-on intensive and a twelve-week hands-on evening intensive. Their one year and two year programs allows you to start in summer rather than wait for the fall. New York Film Academy: 100 E. Seventeenth St. New York, NY 10003. (212) 674-4300
- Michael Howard Studios Michael Howard Studios is one of the best summer drama schools in New York. Their summer intensives focus on scene study, movement, voice, camera, Shakespeare, acting techniques, clown, improvisation and the business of acting. Michael Howard Studios: 152 W. 25th St. New York, NY 10011. (212) 645-1525
Tips & Warning:
- Plan ahead with a first and second school in mind incase you don't get into one school, you can get into the other.
- There are cut-off dates for applying, so check out their websites for deadlines. Break a Leg!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.