The Right Coast isn’t always known for surf, but on the right day the following 10 best East Coast surf spots can rival any of the best waves in North America.
- Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, NC. It is impossible to think of the Outer Banks without picturing the towering black and white lighthouse that has become synonymous with the Cape. The grinding beach break barrels that peel of the lighthouse jetty have always been one of the best east coast surf spots and will always be one of the right coast surfing’s most precious commodities.
- S Turns, NC. This OBX gem takes its name from the S shaped curve in the beach road. S Turns is one of the best places to get barreled on the East Coast. Big, hollow, sand dredging tubes make North Carolina look like mainland Mexico.
- Sebastian Inlet, FL. When the big inlet jetty works its refractory magic a sloppy two-foot mush-burger suddenly morphs into a rippable four-foot bowl. This, coupled with the fact that Sebastian Inlet is the epicenter of East Coast aerial surfing, and the fact this place turned Slater from super-groom into World Champ clearly marks the Inlet as one of the 10 best East Coast surf spots.
- Ruggles, RI. There are not many big wave spots on the East Coast, but Ruggles in Rhode Island can legitimately make the claim. This reef break can hold almost anything that the Atlantic can throw at it. When a macking hurricane swell is closing out the entire North East, Ruggles is one of the few places that can consistently hold the juice. For sheer size and form, Ruggles is most certainly one of the 10 best East Coast surf spots.
- Montauk, NY. Montauk is the point where the mostly featureless sandy coastline of the mid-Atlantic and lower-Northeast finally gives way to the reefs and points of New England. For its exposure to swell and the addition of a bit of variety to the New York/New Jersey surf scene, Montauk is definitely one of the best East Coast surf spots. Montauk offers a smorgasbord of great reef waves and is one of the coolest places in NY to get barreled.
- Manasquan Inlet, NJ. Would you believe that one of the 10 best East Coast surf spots in New Jersey? Actually the Garden State has some of the best surf around, and Manasquan Inlet is Jersey’s Crown Jewel. Able to hold more size than most of the surrounding beach breaks, ‘Squan is often the go to break when a big swell is pumping. The place does get crowded though, so bring your Jersey attitude. Only the strong survive.
- Rye On The Rocks, NH. Could they have chosen a more New England sounding name? Probably, but only if it combined lobster, Red Sox, and Tom Brady. Rye is a great New England point break that can hold some decent size with good form. If you’re into clam chowder, barrels, and rubber then Rye might be your cup of tea.
- Folly Beach Washout, SC. Although not really known for great surf, the washout gets the nod for bringing a glimmer of quality surf to one of the most wave-starved regions on the Eastern seaboard. The washout makes the most of any bump thrown its way. Hey, even if the surf goes flat, Charleston is a great city with plenty of swell Southern Belles.
- Point Judith, RI. This tiny corner of land is home to some of the best point breaks on the East Coast. Although plentiful in New England, point breaks are pretty scarce on the right coast. The concentration of quality points is how Point Judith lays its claim as one of the best East Coast surf spots.
- Reef Road, FL. Undoubtedly the least consistent wave on this list of the 10 best East Coast surf spots, Reef Road needs a huge North or Northeast swell to start working. What it lacks in consistency, Reef Road makes up for in form, offering lefts of over 300 yards on the right day. Reef Road is also capable of handling almost any swell the Atlantic can produce, and it is generally regarded as one of Florida’s best big wave spots.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.