Looking for the ten best surfing spots in Hawaii? Many wave-riders have grown accustomed to their favorite spots around the islands, while some still venture out looking for even better swells. Hawaii is located in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, surrounded by currents and winds from all directions meaning only one thing – you'll find exceptional waves no matter where you travel here.
- Hanalei, Kauai. On the northern shores of Kauai, surfers will find Hanalei Bay. Bring your longboard and work the myriad of swell directions at this top ten best surf location in Hawaii. The waves here can get quite big, barreling endlessly. Also, try the northern east side of Princeville, which is a short trip down the beach. The point out toward the edge of the bay gets wind from all directions, causing a swirl of wave swells you won't want to miss.
- Hookipa, Maui. Situated between Paia and Haiki on Maui, is Hookipa, known for awesome surfing waves and it’s a great place for windsurfing too. This area of Maui is wide open, catching the entire West to Northwestern winds that blow through. The best times to surf this area are early in the morning, or later in the afternoon.
- Honolua, Maui. Another north shore destination on Maui, Honolua is a sheltered surf area where many turn out daily to ride the waves. You may be waiting in line at times, but it will be well worth it once you barrel through the extraordinary swells. The offshore breezes work well with the swells, usually coming in from north by northwest.
- Ehukai Beach Park, Oahu. One of the best surfing spots in all of Hawaii would have to be the North Shore of Oahu. This area has had movies made about it, as well as held surfing competitions. Ehukai Beach, also known as the Banzai Pipeline, isn't really a beginner's surf spot as the shores are a mix of sand and rock. This location normally sees swells from both the east and west making for some good-size barrels.
- Sunset Beach, Oahu. Found on the north shore, Sunset Beach is one of the ten best surf spots in Hawaii. Don't let the size of the waves fool you from shore; they're bigger than they look. Be mindful the waves here turn fast, and break on every swell. The water can wall up, but if you know what you're doing, you can use this to your advantage and ride out the barrel. If you're not a savvy surfer, prepare yourself to get a little banged up.
- Waimea Bay, Oahu. Famous for its huge waves reaching 20 to 30 feet, Waimea is one of the best surfing spots for wave-riders. Locals don't consider it to be a wave here unless swells reach the fifteen to twenty foot mark. These are high-walled, deep-water waves that barrel continuously, forming some of the best pipeline around the islands.
- Laniakea, Oahu. On the north shore of Oahu, Laniakea or Lani's as its called for short, gives off pipelines of 300-yards plus. This can make up to a half-dozen surfable sections of deep-water wave. Although this can mean a longer ride, the waves are also swifter getting surfers up to some incomprehensible speeds.
- Backyards, Oahu. The waves at Yards on the North Shore are pretty advanced, getting swells from all directions. Waves will get big with steeper walls, so watch out for the shallow reef while you surf. This top surfing spot doesn't get as much traffic as others, so you'll have plenty of space and time to paddle around and catch all of the best waves.
- Makaha, Oahu. Located on the western shores of Oahu, Makaha is one of the best surfing spots for longboards, shortboards and bodyboarding. Known for its backwash, Makaha's waves will at times double up which is good for anyone looking to do aerials or wipeouts.
- Ala Moana Bowl, Oahu. On the south shore of Oahu, wave-riders can find some pretty rippable bowls. Regulars will find it's possible to surf the inside of the wave bowl where it becomes shallow, but the lip thickens forming the perfect outside peel effect.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.