Most action sequences in movies today feature gun fights, explosions and a lot of CGI but the 10 best sword fights in movies are better than gun fights any day. Sword fights are much more poetic and difficult to master. The actors have to be more agile and coordinated because sparring with a sword takes a lot more ability than pointing a gun in a general direction and firing. Sword fights also require a better director because there is no CGI to cover up any mistakes or to spruce up the scene. These are the ten best movie sword fights.
- "Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children" (Cloud vs. Sephiroth) This is shout out to all those video game fans as the movie sequel of "Final Fantasy VII" has two of the most popular video game characters, Cloud and Sephiroth, go at it. Advent Children is definitely nice to look at and the music is probably the best of any sword fights in movies.
- "Blade" (Blade vs. Deacon Frost) Remember back when Wesley Snipes was a badass half vampire/half human that protected the world from vampires? Now the only thing that Wesley Snipes is fighting is apparently federal income tax.
"Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back" (Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader) There are a number of Star Wars battles that could be included in the best sword fights in movies. The battle between Yoda and Count Dooku certainly has the best CGI and Darth Maul vs. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan might be the “coolest” but there just isn't a way to top Darth Vader revealing he is Luke's father and then chopping off the hand of that ungrateful son of his.
- "Gladiator" (Maximus vs. Tigris of Gaul) Any time there are tigers in the middle of a sword fight it is one of the best movie sword fights ever. Just imagine tigers in any of the previous movies on the list. Blade is about to finish off Deacon Frost when suddenly…vampire tiger! Or Vader is about to chop off the hand of his son and out of nowhere comes jedi tiger!
- "Equilibrium" (John Preston vs. Brandt and friends) Any movie that wants their sword fight to be considered one of the all-time best sword fights in movies just has to do something new, and cutting someone's face off is something new.
- "Kill Bill Vol. 1" (The Bride vs. The Crazy 88's) Kill Bill Vol. 1 is definitely an inferior film to Vol. 2 but there is no denying that the sword fight between The Bride and the Crazy 88's is the best action sequence of the two movies. Some complain that the Crazy 88's attack one at a time making it “unrealistic.” For fans that want realistic movies here's a tip for you, don't watch Tarantino movies.
- "Rob Roy" (Robert Roy McGregor vs. Archibald Cunningham) Rob Roy is a favorite among sword enthusiasts because it is very good technically, and there is definitely some drama involved. Rob Roy doesn't crack the top three best sword fights in movies, though, because it lacks the panache that is needed in a great sword fight.
- "Princess Bride" (Westley vs. Inigo Montoya) There is no lack of panache in the sword fight between Westley and Inigo Montoya. Both fighters are very confident in their abilities, maybe even a little cocky, but strangely they are both friendly. It is that friendly banter that makes the Princess Bride duel one of the best sword fights in movies of all-time.
- "Adventures of Robin Hood" (Robin Hood vs. Sir Guy of Gisbourne) The sword fight in Adventures of Robin Hood might not be as overly complicated but consider the movie was made in 1938. "The Adventures of Robin Hood" contained the first great movie sword fight..
- "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" (King Arthur vs. Black Knight) Bloody sword fights are fun. Acrobatic sword fights are nice to look at. Even those crazy Japanese movies where people fly all over the screen are entertaining. But sword fights that make the audience roll on the floor laughing? That's a one of a kind scene that can only be seen in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.