10 Best Texas Travel Destinations
The ten best Texas travel destinations include spots all over the nation's second largest state, from the Hill Country to the beaches on the Gulf Coast.
- The Riverwalk Located in San Antonio, the Riverwalk is one of the state's biggest tourist attractions. Take a cruise down the winding river that runs through downtown, do some shopping in the mall located right off the river, or eat some authentic Mexican food under the multicolored umbrellas to get away from the hot Texas sun.
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark This is one of those perfect Texas travel destinations for a summer getaway for families with young children, or anyone who is still young at heart. Located in between Austin and San Antonio, Schlitterbahn is the best way to beat the Texas summer heat.
- Galveston For those that prefer natural bodies of water instead of man-made waterparks, travel to Galveston, located on the Gulf Coast less than an hour away from Houston. With pleasant temperatures and warm water for most of the year, it is a perfect Spring Break or summer vacation spot.
- Austin, Texas Although Austin is the capitol of Texas and located in the heart of the state, it is so different compared to the rest of the state. The city's slogan is “Keep Austin Weird,” and visitors will definitely be able to attest to that statement after one visit to this one of Texas travel destinations.
- Hill Country The Texas Hill Country is the region of the state directly to the south and west of Austin and San Antonio. Cities including Kerrville, Marble Falls, and Fredricksburg offer small town shopping and dining, as well as breathtaking views of colorful Texas sunsets and rolling hills.
- Seaworld Another of the best Texas travel destinations. Get the opportunity to be up close and personal with some of the ocean's largest mammals, including killer whales and dolphins at Seaworld, located outside San Antonio. Attractions including roller coasters, games, and shopping locations are also part of the experience when you get inside the park.
- Texas State Fair Although the State Fair only runs throughout the months of September and October, it is a tradition Texans have flocked to for decades. Come to the fair to see Big Tex, eat fried foods, watch the annual University of Texas football game that is held at the Cotton Bowl every October, or visit the Midway to win hundreds of prizes.
- Mockingbird Station Located in Dallas, Mockingbird Station is one of the city's hippest shopping and entertainment area and another excellent example of the best Texas travel destinations. See an independent movie at the Angelica Theater, or do some shopping and grab lunch at any of the premier stores and restaurants available. Steps away is the DART station, which will take patrons to multiple other stops around the North Dallas area.
- Dallas Zoo Hundreds of animals can be found at this location, and it is the perfect stop for anyone with young children or anyone with an interest in the outdoors.
Nacogdoches For visitors interested in history, come to the state's oldest town, located in the Piney Woods of East Texas. Tourists can enjoy looking around at the quaint shops located downtown, or spending time outdoors at the arboretum, or one of the city's many parks. It deserves a spot on the list of the best Texas travel destinations.
Posted on: Apr. 05, 2010