Wonder who the best TV actors in 2010 are? There have been a number of TV actors raising the bar for the small screen. From doctors to detectives to mad men, here are ten of the best actors working on TV in 2010.
- Hugh Laurie, “House M.D.” – Hugh Laurie stars on the medical drama “House M.D.” as head of a diagnostic medical team in a Philadelphia hospital. Laurie has a dry sense of humor and it is his crass comments elevating the show a step above the typical medical drama. Laurie won two Golden Globes with five nominations in a row as of 2010.
- Nathan Fillion, “Castle” – Nathan Fillion started out on the small TV show “Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place.” Since then, he became a cult favorite on series such as “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Firefly.” Fillion finally found his hit show with the police procedural “Castle” playing a mystery writer partnered with a police detective.
- Jon Hamm, “Mad Men” – Jon Hamm has been an excellent comedic actor with Emmy nominated turns on “30 Rock” and has settled into his role as ad-man Don Draper on “Mad Men.” Hamm won a Golden Globe in 2008 for “Mad Men” and received nominations in the first three seasons of the show.
- Michael C. Hall, “Dexter” – Michael C. Hall flew under the radar the first couple of years on the Showtime series “Dexter.” In 2010, he won his first Golden Globe for his portrayal of the police forensic scientist/serial killer. “Dexter” turned up the volume in Season 4 and Hall finally turned some heads.
- Simon Baker, “The Mentalist” – Simon Baker drifted along with minor movie roles and small TV parts until 2008 when he found himself as the star of the hit CBS detective series “The Mentalist.” At first, it appeared to be a copycat of USA’s hit series “Psych.” Thanks to the star wattage of Baker, “The Mentalist” has developed a strong personality of its own.
- Matthew Gray Gubler, “Criminal Minds” – Between Mandy Patinkin (“Princess Bride”), Joe Mantegna (“The Godfather: Part III”) and Thomas Gibson (“Dharma & Greg”), "Criminal Minds" owns a level of talent not seen on many police procedurals. However, a younger actor has risen to stand toe-to-toe with the veterans. Matthew Gray Gubler portrays Dr. Reid, a brilliant member of the profiler team. In 2009, he also co-starred in the hit indie movie “(500) Days of Summer.”
- Jensen Ackles, “Supernatural” – When “Supernatural” replaced “Angel” on the WB, it had a lot to live up to. The show went from being a “monster of the week” episodic genre show to one of the best monster shows in years. The series is entering its sixth season as the Winchester brothers prepare for a battle between heaven and hell. Ackles costarred on “Dawson’s Creek” and “Smallville” before getting the chance to shine in “Supernatural.” He has never looked back.
- David Boreanaz, “Bones” – David Boreanaz made a name for himself playing the vampire with a soul on “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel.” It would have been easy for Boreanaz to get pigeonholed into a specific typecast. He reacted by signing on to play an FBI agent partnered with an anthropologist from the Smithsonian. Boreanaz proved he is more than just a one-trick pony.
- James Roday, “Psych” – It is hard to believe before he was cast in “Psych,” James Roday might have been best known for a redneck racecar driver in the “Dukes of Hazzard” movie adaptation. When “Psych” began, it was hoping to hang on to the audience of lead-in “Monk.” When “Monk” said goodbye following its eighth season, “Psych” had become one of USA Networks highest rated shows. A lot of that has to do with the comedic timing of its star.
- Neil Patrick Harris, “How I Met Your Mother” – The former “Doogie Howser” has come a long way. He built a large cult following with his roles in “Harold & Kumar” and “Dr. Horrible’s Sing-a-Long Blog.” He also parlayed the success of his hit TV show “How I Met Your Mother” into a critically lauded Emmy performance and a recent guest-starring role on “Glee.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.