10 Best TV Shows 2009
The ten best TV shows of 2009 include series about serial killers, motorcycle gangs and vampires. The best series of 2009 also feature a number of famous guest stars, some of the hottest musical talent of all time and a battle between Heaven and Hell. Whether you like comedies or horror series, there is something for everyone.
- “Dexter” - The fourth season of “Dexter” is one of the best TV shows of 2009. John Lithgow guest stars as the Trinity killer as Dexter gets married and begins to settle in with his new family. Lithgow wins an Emmy for his portrayal as the killer, and Steve Shill wins an Emmy for directing the season finale, an episode that changed the show forever.
- “Mad Men” - Season three of “Mad Men” remains one of the best TV shows of 2009 with the ad agents' jobs in danger. This season presents one of the more compelling episodes as the characters deal with the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. Season three of the series won the Emmy for Best Drama for the third year in a row.
- “Glee” - “Glee” is an instant sensation, one of the best TV shows of 2009. The show focuses on a high school glee choir and the different personalities involved in it. Musical artists receiving homage in the first season include Journey, Rihanna, Beyonce, Queen, Madonna and John Lennon.
- “True Blood” - HBO presents this adaptation of the novel series by author Charlaine Harris about vampires in Louisiana. Anna Paquin, of “X-Men” fame, stars as Sookie Stackhouse, a girl who lives among vampires roaming in everyday society. This first season of the show won a Golden Globe and an Emmy, making it one of the best TV shows of 2009.
- “Lost” - The fifth season of “Lost” takes the show and starts to toy with the realities of the castaways. Some characters escape the island, some stay on it and others disappear and end up in a parallel universe. The series began to lose casual viewers in 2009 thanks to the complexity of the story, but the award nominations make this one of the best TV shows of 2009.
- “Modern Family” - Ed O’Neill returns to comedy for one of the best TV shows of 2009 about a dysfunctional family presented to the audience mockumentary style. It won the Emmy award for Best Comedy Series for the debut season of the show.
- “Supernatural” - The Winchester brothers find themselves in the middle of Armageddon in this, one of the best TV shows of 2009. The series continues to push the envelope in 2009 with the brothers finding themselves enemies of both Heaven and Hell.
- “Castle” - Cult favorite actor Nathan Fillion (“Firefly”) finally finds critical success in this show about a mystery author teamed up with a police officer to help him with his writing. Fillion’s sarcastic wit makes the show fun to watch and helps it become one of the best TV shows of 2009.
- “Chuck” - Each year, it seems “Chuck” is going to be cancelled due to low ratings but it keeps coming back. One of the best TV shows of 2009, “Chuck” presents a number of guest stars including Chevy Chase, Scott Bakula and Jordana Brewster.
- “Sons of Anarchy” - “Sons of Anarchy” picks up where “The Shield” left off, giving the FX network a dark, violent cult hit that is one of the best TV shows of 2009. The show follows a motorcycle gang involved in a number of illegal operations as it becomes the network's most successful show since “Rescue Me.”