The '70s have to be considered the golden age of television, so it is difficult to narrow down the 10 best TV shows of the '70s. Some of the TV shows that don't even make the cut include "Sanford and Son", "The Jeffersons", "Charlie's Angels", "Good Times", "Laverne and Shirley", "The Six Million Dollar Man", "Starsky and Hutch", "The Partridge Family", "The Odd Couple", "Kung Fu", "Kojak", "Scooby Doo", "Taxi", "Lou Grant" and "Barney Miller". These are the 10 best television shows of the '70s.
- "The Waltons" A lot of people might not realize that "The Waltons" is one of the most successful television adaptations. "The Waltons" was based on a book called "Spencer's Mountain" and a film of the same name. "The Waltons" won the Best Picture Emmy in 1973 and the actors from "The Waltons" won a total of nine Emmys.
"Little House on the Prairie" Michael Landon was a part of one of the best TV shows of the '60s and one of the best TV shows of the '70s. After playing “Little Joe” Cartwright on "Bonanza" from 1959 to 1973, Michael Landon needed another long-running show, so he became the star of "Little House on the Prairie". Believe it or not, Michael Landon didn't get any Emmy nominations for either show but should have won multiple times for each.
- "The Rockford Files" "The Rockford Files" must have been one of the best TV shows of the '70s because NBC has honored it by remaking it into a current television show. Wait, this is NBC; perhaps this is actually a dishonor.
- "Happy Days" The word did not exist back in the '70s, but if it did, then the relationship between “the Fonz” and Richie Cunningham could only be described as the best bromance of the '70s. Fonzie is one of the most memorable characters in television history and Ron Howard hasn't done too bad for himself either.
- "All in the Family" "All in the Family" was a ground-breaking television show that was one of the first to tackle subjects such as homosexuality, women's rights, racism, rape and miscarriages. Despite the controversial issues, people tuned in. "All in the Family" ranked first in the Nielsen ratings every year from 1971 to 1976. Only "The Cosby Show" and "American Idol" have ranked first for five consecutive seasons since.
"The Carol Burnett Show" "The Carol Burnett Show" is arguably the best sketch comedy show of all-time and is definitely one of the ten best TV shows of the '70s. "The Carol Burnett Show" never ranked very high in the Nielsen Rankings but it was a favorite by critics who awarded the show with 25 Emmy Awards.
- "The Muppet Show" "The Muppet Show" combines three things that people like: celebrities, music and cute little furry creatures. "The Muppet Show" has spawned several movies and has certainly produced more toys, clothes and other products than any TV show of the '70s.
- "Mary Tyler Moore Show' Forget about Lucille Ball–Mary Tyler Moore is the greatest female actress in the history of television. After co-starring in one of the best shows of the 60's, "The Dick Van Dyke Show", Mary Tyler Moore just raised the bar another level with her own show.
- "The Brady Bunch" "The Brady Bunch" is so popular that everybody remembers specific episodes, quotes from the show, the theme song, all the characters and even all the relationships that were going on off screen. Unfortunately, everybody remembers cousin Oliver too.
- "M*A*S*H*" "M*A*S*H*" holds the record for the most watched television episode in history when 105.97 million viewers tuned in for the series finale. It wasn't until the 2010 Super Bowl that a program of any kind surpassed that number. "M*A*S*H*" was set during the Korean War. The actual Korean War only lasted three years, yet "M*A*S*H*" lasted eleven seasons. Many of the stories that were told on" M*A*S*H*" were based on true stories told to the producers by real MASH surgeons. It is hard to argue against "M*A*S*H*" being the best TV show of the '70s.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.