Looking for the 10 best UFC Brazilian fighters? The sport of mixed martial arts (MMA) has exploded in popularity over the past five years, with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), satisfying both those fans who thirst for sanctioned violence and mayhem as well as those who admire the intricacies of the various skills and fighting styles on display. The 10 best UFC Brazilian fighters are all masters of various fighting disciplines and are high-level, exciting athletes.
- Anderson Silva. Widely considered the best pound-for-pound MMA fighter alive, the Sao Paolo born Silva, nicknamed "The Spider," is the current UFC Middleweight champion, and has defended his title a record seven times. Silva's devastating punching power and Muay Thai clinching skills, as well as his fearsome jiu-jitsu submission ability, make him arguably the best fighter in UFC history and easily one of the ten best Brazilian fighters.
- Mauricio Rua. This current UFC Light-Heavyweight champion hails from Curitiba, Brazil and is one of the most feared fighters in the sport. His all-around skills in boxing, Muay Thai and grappling, make him a dangerous opponent, and his knockout of another notable Brazilian fighter, Lyoto Machida in May 2010 to become champion, cemented his legacy as one of the ten best Brazilian UFC fighters.
- Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. Born in Rio De Janeiro, Nogueira is a jiu-jitsu expert famed for his iron chin and supreme ability to submit opponents when he gets them on the ground. A former interim UFC Heavyweight champion, Nogueira has opened MMA training centers in both Brazil and the United States, and is universally respected as one of the greatest jiu-jitsu practitioners in history.
- Lyoto Machida. This former UFC Light-Heavyweight champion born in Belem, Brazil, utilizes an orthodox style of karate and boxing that confuses opponents and often leaves them knocked out on the mat. Machida's undefeated record was spoiled in May 2010 with a loss to fellow Brazilian, Mauricio Rua, but he remains a lethal combination of speed and precision and one of the best of UFC's Brazilian stable.
- Jose Aldo. Often ranked as one of the ten best pound-for-pound fighters in the world, Aldo, born in Manaus, Brazil, is the current UFC Featherweight champion, specializing in devastating leg kicks and powerful Muay Thai knees to the body.
- Wanderlei Silva. Nicknamed "The Axe Murderer," Silva, who hails from Curitiba, hometown of his close friend Mauricio Rua, is a UFC light-heavyweight and middleweight fighter whose heavy hands, whiplash kicks and willingness to brawl, have made him a hero in Brazil and a fan favorite in the United States.
- Fabricio Werdum. Born in Porto Alegre, Brazil, Werdum is a light-heavyweight fighter who used to compete in the UFC until recently moving to rival promotion Strikeforce. A submission specialist, Werdum shocked the world in 2010 by defeating superstar fighter Fedor Emelianenko, a man long thought to be unbeatable.
- Thiago Alves. The Fortaleza-born Alves is a UFC welterweight fighter whose nickname "Pitbull," speaks to his aggressive and powerful style of fighting that often results in knockouts and has gained him fame as one of the ten best UFC Brazilian fighters.
- Paulo Thiago. A welterweight from Brasilia, Thiago is a top-ten ranked fighter in his weight class, specializing in jiu-jitsu and boxing. Thiago's submission skills are his calling card, and though he lost his last UFC fight against top contender Diego Sanchez, he remains a future star in the sport.
- Thiago Silva. Born in Sao Paolo, Brazil, Silva is a UFC light-heavyweight fighter consistently ranked in the top ten of his weight class. Silva mixes jiu-jitsu and boxing and is a well-rounded fighter. Though he lost to top challenger Rashad Evans in January 2010, Silva's upcoming bout against Brandon Vera is a crucial step on his climb to title contention.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.