If you loved the 1990's, chances are that you're looking for a list of the 10 best ultimate '90s songs. If you enjoyed the grunge scene, or maybe you liked Britney before she made it big and got a little loopy (I know, I know "Leave Britney alone!"), this list was made for you. Ready to jam out? Grab your headphones and check out the best of the best ultimate '90s songs.
- “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana. As the '80s tunes faded away and the '90s songs stormed in, we were introduced to a new music genre known as "grunge." Outshining most of the other grunge bands, Nirvana changed music as we know it. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the proud and raw anthem of the decade.
- “One” by U2. Performed by Irish superstars, U2, "One" is a powerful ballad about relationships. While it's often dedicated as a love song, it's more a song that points out how different people are, and how we need to learn to set aside these differences if we want to survive. It's considered one of U2's greatest songs to date and one of the best ultimate '90s songs.
- “I Will Always Love You” by Whitney Houston. Originally written and performed by country star Dolly Parton during the '70s, "I Will Always Love You" was rewritten as a soul ballad, specifically for the movie "The Bodyguard." Whitney Houston's new version went on to sell millions of copies and is considered to not only be one of the best ultimate '90s songs, but one of the greatest songs of all time.
- “Vogue” by Madonna. She's been kicking out the hits since the '80s and this decade was no exception. Instructing millions on a new dance fad, Madonna created one of the best ultimate '90s songs and continued to captivate the masses with her hit song, "Vogue."
- “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Who would have thought that a song about booty would stand the test of time and earn its place as one of the best ultimate '90s songs? This is a wild and crazy tune, but one that's disturbing enough to get stuck in your head and stay there.
- “Baby One More Time” by Britney Spears. Prior to the head-shaving incident, Britney Spears was belting out some amazing vocals. "Baby One More Time" was the debut for this pretty young singer and the tune remains one of the best ultimate '90s songs, helping to define the decade.
- “Waterfalls” by TLC. A powerful song with beautiful lyrics, "Waterfalls" was a quick chart topper, earning the TLC girls 2 Grammy award nominations. With a video that confronted drug abuse and its relation to HIV, "Waterfalls" is a painfully beautiful song. Its considered one of the ultimate songs of the '90s as well as one of the greatest songs of the past 25 years.
- “Losing My Religion” by R.E.M. Michael Stipe and R.E.M. had been popular on college radio stations for years, but "Losing My Religion" was the song that really launched them into mainstream music. Winning them two Grammy awards, its considered one of the best ultimate '90s songs and marked a decided change in the band's music.
- “Nothing Compares 2 U” by Sinéad O'Connor. One of the ultimate love songs of the '90s, "Nothing Compares 2 U" was written by legendary pop star Prince and later recorded by Irish songstress Sinéad O’Connor. This would be the song that would launch O'Connor's singing career and make her a household name of the '90s.
- “Jeremy” by Pearl Jam. Another popular grunge band, Pearl Jam took the world by storm with their release of this ultimate 90's song. "Jeremy" is based on a true story about a boy that took a gun to school and committed suicide in front of his classmates.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.