10 Best U.S. Travel Destinations
The 10 best U.S. travel destinations are a mix of family-friendly venues, locales that cater to senior tourists or honeymooners. In some cases it is the perfect location for the single male traveler in search of local color and ladies.
- Niagara Falls, New York: Made famous by Marilyn Monroe and countless honeymooning couples, this location is a must-see. The falls are majestic and the power of the rushing waters doesn’t get boring even after a couple of hours. Enjoy upstate New York while there and consider hopping into Canada for a quick look-see.
- Telluride, Colorado: Rugged mountain men with a taste for luxury are sure to look to this as their premier choice among the ten best U.S. travel destinations. Part resort and part base camp for mountaineering, rock climbing and back country hikes, spend the days exploring nature and the nights venturing out to see the nightlife.
- Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona: Forget the nightlife and head for the deserts and canyons. Commune with nature, swim in azure waters, camp, rent a packhorse, visit Havasu Falls and contemplate the grandeur that is the great outdoors. The stressed exec, who needs to unplug and get away from it all, is sure to appreciate this locale with its spotty cell phone connectivity.
- Big Morongo Canyon Preserve, California: Find this leisurely hiking and sightseeing retreat in the Little San Bernardino Mountains. It is an excellent choice for a budding outdoor enthusiast, the slightly out-of-shape would-be hiker or the senior who just wants to enjoy the desert at its most recreational.
- Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida: When traveling with the kids in tow, Walt Disney World is a must. It’s not cheap, but the more than 200 rides make it a worthwhile expense that keeps the family hopping and on the move for at least a week.
- Williamsburg, Virginia: If entertainment needs to walk hand in hand with education, take the family to historic Williamsburg. Eighteenth century displays and buildings provide that kind of hands-on education that is impossible to enjoy in the classroom or from books. The kids are sure to enjoy it--once they get over not seeing the world-famous mouse.
- Salton Sea in Riverside County, California: Senior travelers enjoy the bird viewing opportunities that this saline lake affords them. A park district-created wooden pathway makes it possible to walk past gorgeous salt structures to get up close and personal with the animals and sparse vegetation. Although one of the ten best U.S. travel destinations for bird lovers, it is also a major source of nuisance flies, especially in summer.
- Las Vegas, Nevada: The ultimate adult playground, Vegas is among the ten best U.S. travel destinations that are best enjoyed alone or at least without kids. Ditch the youngsters with the grandparents and take off to the casinos, round-the-clock exotic restaurants and a city that parties day and night without pause.
- Palm Springs, California: In spring and fall, this is the place where to seek out. Warm, gorgeous, nestled along the desert mountains and just a hop, skip and a jump away from Los Angeles, it is a weekend getaway or week-long retreat. Avoid it in summer as temperatures sore and make any kind of outdoor recreation a miserable chore.
- Assateague Island, Maryland: Of the ten best U.S. travel destinations, this one represents the road less traveled. Although it rarely shows up in travel guides--and therefore does not run the risk of getting overrun by eager travelers--it is a fishing oasis that features gorgeous beaches, bay views and wild ponies. What’s not to love?
Explore the ten best U.S. travel destinations alone or with your favorite partner. Allow the natural calm or manmade excitement to replenish your energy and remind you just why you run the rat race each day to earn money.