The Vietnam War defined the United States in a time of great changes in our country's culture, as reflected in the 10 best Vietnam war movies that have been made over the years.. Many great films have been made about that controversial time period. Here is a list of the top ten Vietnam war movies.
- "We Were Soldiers"-Starring Mel Gibson, Greg Kinnear, Sam Elliot and Madeleine Stowe. This movie is based on the first major battle that the United States participated in over in Vietnam. The American troops numbering at about 400 were set upon by 2,000 enemy troops in la Drang Valley. The characters are real and believable on both sides of the conflict.
- "Full Metal Jacket"-Starring Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermy, Adam Baldwin and Ed O'Ross. This gritty movie depicts military life during the Vietnam conflict. It feels very real and therefore captures the emotions and forces you to feel for the characters as they progress through Marine boot camp, then are shipped off to Vietnam.
- "Platoon"-Starring Charlie Sheen and Willem Dafoe. This movie is set at ground level showing the gut wrenching details of guerilla warfare. Dirt, sweat and blood set the tone for this film and the emotional draw holds you right to the end. Climaxing in the classic death scene of Willem Dafoe's character.
- "The Deer Hunter"-Starring Robert De Niro, Meryl Streep and Christopher Walkin. This epic is three hours long, but the story and characters are excellent. It is about a group of tight knit friends from a hard working small town and how the Vietnam war changes all of them.
- "Apocalypse Now"-Starring Marlon Brando, Martin Sheen, Robert Duvall and Frederic Forrest. It was released in 1979 and has remained near the top of the list in spite of newer movies with better graphics. It is a very different film dealing with the madness that is often associated with the Vietnam war.
- "Hamburger Hill"- Starring Michael Dolan, Daniel O'Shea, Tommy Swerdlow and Anthony Barille. This movie was released in 1987. It depicts a group of young Army recruits going through basic and then shipped overseas on a suicide mission.
- "Casualties of War"-Starring Sean Penn, Michael J. Fox and John Leguizamo. This movie is about a young soldier who gets assigned to a unit that has been in the jungle for months. He soon discovers the horrific things that they are doing to civilians, the movie follows him and the moral dilemma he faces.
- "Bat 21"-Starring Gene Hackman and Danny Glover. This film is based on a true story about an American officer that got shot down and was forced to parachute into enemy territory.
- "Rescue Dawn"-Starring Christian Bale and Steve Zahn. This movie follows Christian Bale's character through his experience in a P.O.W. camp and his attempts to escape with his sanity.
- "Good Morning, Vietnam"-Starring Robin Williams and Forest Whitaker. This movie is based on a true story about a radio announcer who loved to color outside the lines. He is transferred to Saigon and gets in trouble for playing banned rock n' roll tunes and making fun of the president. Although not a traditional war movie, it is set in Vietnam during the war and is interesting as it is based on real happenings.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …