The 10 best war movie quotes are the lines that send a shiver down the spine of anyone who has ever confronted adversity. There are hundreds of feature films that are based upon historic battles and wars. Most good war films feature heroic characters who bravely confront insurmountable odds and do so with quick witted quips.
- "War is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought.” General Ripper in "Dr. Strangelove" 1964. This line sounds like common sense but it came in a dark movie about a crazy general starting a nuclear war.
- " I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or from the air, and I plan on doing both before the war is over." Hilts in "The Great Escape" 1963. Not what the Nazi prison came commander wanted to here from prisoner Steve McQueen.
- "This is history. We are living an historical moment. We are going to lose the war because our glorious Führer has taken a sleeping pill and is not to be awakened. Sometimes I wonder which side God is on." General Blumentritt, "The Longest Day," 1962. Safe to say it appears God was not on Hitler's side in the war or in this classic movie.
- "Republic. I like the sound of the word. It means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, be drunk or sober, however they choose." Davy Crockett, "The Alamo" 1960. Any line said by John Wayne is classic but this one is extra good because he says it when portraying another American legend, Davy Crockett.
- "You give me powders, pills, baths, injections, enemas; when all I need is love." Commander Shears, "Bridge Over The River Kwai" 1957. The Japanese soldiers running the prisoner of war camps did not appreciate British humor.
- "You Americans don't smoke anymore. You live long, dull and uninteresting lives." Firimbi in "Black Hawk Down," 2001. Sometimes it take a Somali shooter to tell it like it is.
- "Grant us victory, O Lord, before the Americans get here." Field Marshall Haig in "Oh What A Lovely War," 1969. The British were desperate to beat the Hun by themselves but the Yanks came to the rescue.
- "With the whole world crumbling, we pick this time to fall in love." Ilsa in "Casablanca," 1942. She had a point, which is probably why he packed her off in the plane.
- "No, I don't think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That's what's wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, and by someone who knows how." Rhett Butler, "Gone With The Wind," 1939. Rhett decided to tease Scarlett but it all worked out in the end.
- "I wanted to see exotic Vietnam… the crown jewel of Southeast Asia. I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture… and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!" Private Joker, "Full Metal Jacket," 1987. The only memorable quote in the movie that does not feature expletives.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…