10 Best Water Polo Players
To get a place in the list of the ten best water polo players, an athlete must possess both stamina and immense skill. This water sport, introduced in 1900, has six players per team plus a goalie and has been compared to hockey.
- Manuel Estiarte. Standing 5 foot 8 inches and weighing 145 pounds, Estiarte is considered one of the ten best water polo players because he has participated in six Olympic games and has played for the Spanish Water Polo team over 600 times.
- Tony Azevedo. In his four years on the Standford University Water Polo Team, Azevedo has helped with the scoring of 332 goals. That's not all, he's also was the receiver of the Peter J. Cutino Award for four consecutive years, easily securing him a high ranking in the ten best water polo players list. The Standford team won two NCAA men's water polo championships while he played for them.
- Brenda Villa. Villa is also a Standford Aumni. She was named the FINA Aquatic World Magazine’s Best Female Player in Water Polo of the Decade for 2000-2009. Like Azevedo, she led her team to the NCAA championship, received a Peter J. Cutino Award, and deserves a placing among the ten best water polo players. She participated in the Olympics and received one bronze and two silver medals.
- Joseph Pletinckx. Pletinckx is the winner of thirteen championships. Pletinckx led Belgium to medal placing at the Olympics four times in a row, securing a high ranking amongst the ten best water polo players.
- Bradley Schumacher. Schumacher has received many awards. They include: Water Polo Player of the Year 1999, FINA World Cup 1997 Water Polo Gold Medalist, along with 1999 Pan American water polo gold medal winner. Also, this remarkable athlete was the first to become world champion in swimming and water polo.
- Maureen O'Toole. At thirteen, she joined a boys' water polo team, because a girls team was not available, and that was the start of a great career. At fifteen, she joined the Women's National Water Polo league and then went on to be an MVP winner of the U.S. Women's National Team fifteen times and U.S. Water Polo Female Athlete of the year five times, leaving little doubt as to why she is found on this list of ten best water polo players.
- Adam Wright. A major player for years, he was a star in the water polo games. Wright has been an assistant to both men's and women's polo teams and is now the head coach at UCLA Bruins Men's Water Polo Team.
- Yvette Higgins. Higgins is now a coach at Sydney University for the Women's Water Polo team. She is best known for scoring the winning goal in the 2000 Olympics, and her eight position in the ten best water polo players.
- Ryan Bailey. Bailey is well known for his athleticism and medal winning. He was part of the U.S. Olympic team and helped them to win the silver medal at the 2008 Olympics, deservedly ranking in the list of ten best water polo players.
- Erica Figge. Figge has placed first five times in international water polo competitions and is part of the U.S. Women's National Water Polo team. She easily glides into this spot for ten best water polo players.
Posted on: Feb. 28, 2011