Looking for one of the ten best weekend getaways in the Midwest? It's closer than you think. Living in the Midwest has plenty of perks. The most obvious of these is location! There are not many geographical regions in the United States that have such close proximity to some of America's greatest cities and outdoor activities. That being said, here are the 10 Best Weekend Getaways in the Midwest.
- Chicago, Illinois. The Windy City boasts some of the best restaurants, music, museums and attractions the Midwest has to offer. In just a few hours drive you can leave your cares behind and enjoy a weekend getaway in Chicago. Top tourist attractions include Navy Peer, Millennium Park, Lincoln Park Zoo and the world-class Art Institute of Chicago. After a day exploring the city, hop in a taxi and enjoy some of Chicago's culinary delights and nightlife.
- Ripley, Ohio. Looking for a quiet, romantic weekend getaway? Located in scenic southeastern Ohio on US 52, Ripley is home to a quaint historic district, vineyards, farmers markets, festivals and local artists. After spending the afternoon in Ripley, take the ferry across the Ohio River to Augusta, Kentucky. Here you will find a historic river town with great food and romantic bed & breakfasts.
- Norman, Indiana. This is a great weekend getaway for families. Located in Hoosier National Forest and home of the Midwest Trail Ride, Norman offers lodging, camping, hiking, horseback riding and entertainment year round. If home cooked meals and bluegrass music are calling, this is the perfect weekend getaway.
- Mackinac Island, Michigan. To experience true beauty and tranquility head to Mackinac Island, (pronounced Mackinaw). No vehicles allowed, so you can truly escape the daily grind. Located off the Michigan coast, you can only access the island by boat, ferry or small plane. Enjoy the Lilac Festival in June, biking, horseback riding and sailing. Relax at the spa or one of the towns wonderful bed and breakfast.
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. If you thrive off arts and culture, the "Twin Cities" is one place you should visit soon. This city has one of the most vibrant music and art scenes in the country. The Walker Art Museum and the Guthrie Theater should top your list of places to see once you arrive. For the just plane odd, check out the Museum of Questionable Medical Devices. In the evening check out local bands and culinary delights.
- Apostle Islands Lakeshore, Wisconsin. Featuring 21 islands and twelve miles of mainland along Lake Superior, the Apostle Islands are a wonderful getaway to the great outdoors. Hiking, fishing, boating and camping are only a few of many exciting things to do. Check out Wisconsin's Maritime Trails and dive a historic shipwreck.
- Black River, Lesterville, Missouri. Camp, Hike, Canoe and float your way to relaxation in the southeastern Ozark's. Just a few hours from St. Louis, you'll find some of Missouri's most beautiful and scenic country. Riversedge Camping & Floating is just one option for your weekend getaway. Mountain biking, climbing, hunting and many other outdoor adventure sports are available as well.
- Le Claire, Iowa. Home of Buffalo Bill, Le Claire offers history, antique shopping, festivals and the mighty Mississippi River. Visiting the Mississippi River is not complete without traveling on the river. One spectacular option for an overnight river cruise is the Twilight River Boat Cruise, a two day excursion from Le Claire to Dubuque that is reasonably priced.
- Black Hills, South Dakota. The Black Hills region of South Dakota boasts year round fun. Fill your days with hiking, skiing, history and culture. You can find sanctuary in one of the six national parks and the majesty of Mount Rushmore; you'll never see anything else like it in your life.
- Deadwood, South Dakota. Deadwood is in a class of its own. Located within the Black Hills region, Deadwood is an old mining town. Get a true taste of the Wild West during Sturgis in August or hit the slopes at Terry Peak. Deadwood will not disappoint.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.