Here are 10 of the best winter travel destinations. Many people underestimate traveling in winter. It’s cold and wet and all people want to do is curl up in front of their fireplace, try curling up in front of a fire place in the Swiss Alps.
- Cologne, Germany. There’s nothing like Germany covered in snow, and the sight makes it one of the best winter travel destinations. Cologne is Germany's fourth largest city and one of the oldest towns in Germany, founded in 38 B.C. by the Romans. It's famed for it's art scene and sits on the Rhine River. Definitely a sight to see.
- South Coast of Maine. It might be chilly but it’s a sight to see. Wrap up and journey out on the deserted boardwalk early in the mourning to see the mists rolling in and out. It's a stunning sight and a great winter travel destination if you want to relax and enjoy some peace and quiet.
- Italian Dolomites. Brand new, with the hotel on site still under construction, it's an excellent winter travel destination. The Merano Thermal Baths is a 15-acre spa made of steel and glass, 200 miles from Milan. It has sulfur-infused pools, saunas, and steam rooms that are all fed by thermal waters. It has 30 treatment rooms with bonsai-perfect gardens. A perfect place to get away from the cold without getting away from the snow and scenery.
- Vienna. It’s beautiful year round but in January a celebration begins of the life of composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. There are countless concerts and operas dedicated to his work and it’s the perfect winter travel destination for any music lover.
- Swiss Alps. You don’t even have to ski on this well known winter travel destination. There are plenty of resorts where you can just relax in front of a fireplace and enjoy the spectacular scenery and food. And then, if you really want to, you can go skiing.
- Jasper National Park. One of the most beautiful national parks in Canada, you can do more then ski at this winter travel destination. You can go hiking, snowshoeing, dog sledding, even rent a snowmobile. It’s the low season during winter so you don’t have to worry huge crowds of people if you want quiet time.
- Mont-Tremblant. A skier’s paradise, it has 93 miles of cross-country trails. There are also dozens of cozy chalets and plenty of spas close by so you can do anything you want to at this amazing winter travel destination.
- Roatan. If you have to get away somewhere warm, absolutely have to, for your winter travel destination try Roatan. The largest Bay Island off Honduras, it’s full of exotic animals, lush landscapes including jungles and mountains, and a reef full of shipwrecks, sea turtles, whales, and dolphins. There’s no Hiltons or the like but that only adds to the experience.
- London. London is beautiful in the summer and stunning in winter, but it’s a city meant to be seen in the cold, through the rain, or covered in snow. Though it rains year-round there’s something to be said for seeing it after the holiday rush is over. Hands down one of the best winter travel destinations in the world.
- Channel Islands, California. For the educated traveler who wants to see the wildlife and not the resort, these five islands are compared to the Galapagos Islands. You can see grey whales, go kayaking through sea caves, and see some of the most diverse ecosystems in the world. It's something new to try as a winter travel destination.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.