If you're looking for the 10 best WWII movies, you won't find any films that delve any deeper into the subject of World War II than these ten masterpieces of cinema. There have been a huge ensemble of World War II movies over the past few decades, but only a handful of them actually stand out. These ten films cover a wide range of aspects of World War II, from the holocaust to the war with Nazi Germany and Japan.
- "Saving Private Ryan." Nothing has ever come close to the masterpiece Steven Spielberg had delivered in "Saving Private Ryan," a World War II film about a platoon of troops, fresh from the D-Day battle on the beaches of Normandy, who are assigned to retrieve Private Ryan, the last brother left alive in his own family and bring him back home.
- "Schindler's List." If "Saving Private Ryan" was Mr. Spielberg's depiction of the war-side of things in World War II, "Schindler's List" was the holocaust-side of it all. "Schindler's List" depicts and chronicles the holocaust and one man, Oskar Schindler, who set out to save as many lives as possible.
- "Inglourious Basterds." Quentin Taratino's take on World War II starring Brad Pitt involves two storylines to sabotage the political leadership of Nazi Germany by a French-Jewish cinema proprietor and a group of allied Jewish soldiers. Earning over eight Academy Award nominations, the film has proved itself as a fun World War II film to watch where Taratino delivers his own fresh approach on World War II.
- "The Thin Red Line." Marked by an all-star cast that consists of Sean Penn, Adrien Brody, John Cusack, John Travolta, George Clooney and Jared Leto, "The Thin Red Line" was a fictional World War II film that tells the story of a team of young solders who are assigned to relieve battle-torn Marine units during the exhaustive Guadalcanal battle. While it wasn't as successful as it should have been, the film had strong performances and is labeled one of the best contemporary war films ever made.
- "Das Boot." Director Wolfgang Petersen presented us with this adaptation of the novel of the same name by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim which depicts the crew of a World War II U-boat number U-96 and their deadly patrol. "Das Boot" has come to be known as one of the most pricey films to make in the history of German cinema.
- "The Great Escape." This action-packed World War II film starred Steve McQueen as a man who leads a mass escape with a large group of Allied prisoners from a German POW camp. Based on the novel of the same name by Paul Brickhill, the film has long since been praised for its adventurous elements mixed with a tragic ending since its release.
- "Life is Beautiful." This Italian film depicted a Jewish-Italian man who uses fertile imagination and humor in order to help raise his son (and family) during the holocaust. The first half of the film was somewhat of a romantic comedy with slapstick humor, but this slowly descends into a dark second half in which World War II fully takes the stage and the family is taken to a concentration camp.
- "Pearl Harbor." Michael Bay's portrayal of the attack on Pearl Harbor deserves a noteworthy mention. Despite having altered bits of history, "Pearl Harbor" is one big popcorn movie complete with all the necessary ingredients, including a love triangle against the backdrop of a major war.
- "Patton." This Francis Ford Coppola scripted World War II film was an Academy Award-winning biographical story about United States General George S. Patton and his career during World War II. This mesmerizing film has long since been preserved in the United States National Film Registry for being extremely significant.
- "The English Patient." Having won nine Academy Awards, the film is set before and during World War II with a story that is told through a series of flashbacks from the point of a view of a critically scarred man who we only know as the English Patient, played magnificently by Ralph Fiennes.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.