Curious about the 10 biggest band break-ups ever? It is nearly impossible to name bands that broke up completely and do not perform under the same name without a band member dying. The greatest bands many people loved broke up for this reason, with the exception of the biggest band break-up of all, and anyone could probably name that one. Here's a list of bands that broke up their original line-up:
- The Beatles. Perhaps the most well-known band break-up of all time. John Lennon left the band to pursue his solo career.
- Led Zeppelin. The band broke up after the tragic car accident that killed drummer John Bonham.
- The Sex Pistols. One of punk rock's pioneer bands, the break-up happened after they imploded on their only U.S. tour.
- The Doors. With the band in limbo, Jim Morrison died under mysterious circumstances in Europe.
- The Beach Boys. This band break-up happened when Brian Wilson quit the band after many years of seclusion.
- The Grateful Dead. Jerry Garcia died in the 1990s, ending a seemingly eternal band tour and ending a lifestyle of rock and roll and travels of many kinds.
- The Eagles. This band break-up was caused by differences between the band members.
- The Police. This band break-up happened so the band members could pursue solo careers.
- The Clash. Their drummer was asked to leave because of heroin addiction. After that, the band fell apart.
- Nirvana. When frontman Kurt Cobain died of an apparent suicide, this band broke up.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.