Shopping is one of America's favorite pastimes but have you wondered what are the ten biggest shopping malls in America? You might think your local mall is huge, but just because you don't have enough stamina to plod through it doesn't mean it qualifies—it just means you need more exercise. The biggest malls aren't for the faint of heart. They're designed so you'll shop 'til you drop. Be warned, these places are huge.
- Mall of America. Mall of America is so big it has its own amusement park. It has an overall square footage of 4.2-million square feet: its total leasable square footage is 2,768,399-feet. It has four levels and 520 stores. The Nickelodeon Universe alone is over 295,000-square feet. Mall of America: 60 East Broadway, Bloomington, MN 55425.
- South Coast Plaza. This is a combination of a mall, an outdoor shopping center and a cultural center. It features five anchor stores, two carousels, the Orange County Performing Arts Center, a repertory and a concert hall. At 2.7 million square feet with nearly 300 stores, you could spend all day here. South Coast Plaza: 3333 Bristol Street Costa Mesa, CA 92626.
- Millcreek Mall. Millcreek was built in 1975 and is at 2.6 million square feet to claim the spot as third biggest. It has four anchor stores, bungee jumping, cinema and a hotel. Most clothing purchases are tax-free in Pennsylvania, so next time you're there, save plenty of money for a trip. Millcreek Mall: 654 Millcreek Mall, Erie, PA 16565.
- Grand Canyon Parkway. Located in Vegas, this big open-air mall is a good place to blow your winnings. The mall has 2.5-million square feet, and anchor stores include Sears, Grand, Mervyn's, Target, Greatland and JCPenny. Grand Canyon Parkway: 4245 So. Grand Canyon Drive, Las Vegas, NV 89147.
- Roosevelt Field Mall. Number five on our list is also the oldest. Built in 1956, Roosevelt Field is located outside of New York City and has five anchor stores, 270 specialty stores and a cinema. Leasable space consists of 2,444,580 square feet. If you drive, don't worry about the parking: the mall's multi-level garage has more than 11,000 free spaces. Roosevelt Field Mall: 630 Old Country Rd, Garden City, NY 11530.
- Aventura Mall. Take a break from the sunlight and catch some artificial rays at Aventura Mall. This mecca of excess boasts 2.4 million square feet of leasable space. High fashion stores like Burberry, Faconabble and Anthropologie accompany the mall's six anchor stores. A little cash-strapped? Don't worry, you can still shop at the Sears. Aventura Mall: 19501 Biscayne Boulevard, Aventura, FL 33180.
- Sawgrass Mills. Another Florida mall tops our list of the ten biggest. It also has the most anchor stores with fifteen. This place is a shopoholic's dream. Although 2,383,906 square feet of space is smaller than most, it has 350 ways to part with your money. Sawgrass Mills: 12801 W Sunrise Blvd, Sunrise, FL 33323.
- Woodfield Mall. In the sprawling suburbs of Chicago sits an equally sprawling mall. This 39-year old center has five anchor stores and 268 specialty stores in 2,224,000 square feet of space. When you've had your fill of Abercrombie and Zumiez, get some laughs at the Improv Comedy Club. Woodfield Mall: 5 Woodfield Mall, Schaumburg, IL 60173.
- Tysons Corner Center. Near the Washington, D.C. area is the ninth biggest mall in America. It has four anchor stores and a 101,000 square foot cinema. Its total area is 2.2 million square feet. If you've got kids in tow, let them blow off some steam at the National Geographic play area, and get some coffee for yourself: this place has nearly 300 stores. Tysons Corner Center: 1961 Chain Bridge Rd, McLean, VA 2210.
- Palisades Center. At the bottom of our list of the ten biggest malls in America is another one from New York. This shopping center is combines upscale stores like Macy's and Lord & Taylor with Target and Home Depot. So ladies, let loose those men to roam the aisles of hammers while you prowl the aisles of silky scarves and fancy shoes. Palisades Center: 1000 Palisades Center Drive, West Nyack, NY 10994.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)