10 Bodybuilding Diet Tips
While a search for the essential 10 bodybuilding diet tips will not automatically translate into copious muscle mass, rapid strength gain and an overnight improvement of the physique, it does effectively drown out the siren song of the so-called quick fixes. Avoid costly powders, drinks, shakes and the more pharmaceutically oriented underbelly of the sport by adhering to these ten bodybuilding diet tips that keep the body healthy and ready for the exercises.
- Eat when hungry, not when an appetite strikes. Starting off the ten bodybuilding diet tips with this little bit of advice makes it possible to learn when to resupply the body with needed energy and when to overlook a learned craving that may lead to the unnecessary ingestion of calories.
- Count water as an essential nutrient. Water makes up a good portion of the blood and supports the electrolyte balance in the body. The latter is crucial during sweat-producing exercises. Schedule rehydration breaks. Remember: if you wait to drink until thirsty, you are already on the borderline of being dehydrated!
- Mix meat and plant based protein sources. While these ten bodybuilding diet tips will not suggest that you become vegetarian or focus on a lopsided meat-only diet, it is important to mix the sources of the protein for maximum effect. Opt for beans, whole grains, seeds, peas and nuts as well as salmon, turkey, egg whites and lean steak.
- Focus on complex carbohydrates such as whole grains, yellow fruits and leafy greens vegetables. These carbs (the “good” carbs) provide a sustained influx of energy.
- Go easy on simple carbohydrates. These are the sugars found in milk and fruits. Although healthy in moderation, their energy giving properties resemble a short-lived spur.
- Do not avoid fat. Americans are conditioned to believe that all fat is bad, but for the body to function, especially during times of stress or exercise, fat is an essential nutrient. Look for healthy fat sources, such as olive oil. In addition, fat-soluble vitamins--such as vitamins A, D, E and K--require the presence of the substance in the body.
- Rely on food, not supplements, for vitamins and minerals. Do not try to augment a poor or lopsided diet with vitamin pills and other nutritional supplements.
- Stay away from fad diets for the quick weight loss. These ten bodybuilding diet tips are designed to keep you healthy and in top physical shape. It is important to remember that an overweight body takes time to shrink down to its healthy size. Speeding along the process is possible but not healthy.
- Enjoy condiments and soda in moderation. Diet soda, reduced sodium soy sauce, chili powder, salsa, balsamic vinegar and mustard help dishes taste great, but use them only in small quantities.
- Recognize the warning signs of an eating disorder. Princeton University warns that men, especially those participating in bodybuilding, are at heightened risk for developing an eating disorder. Thought in the past to be a primarily female affliction, it is crucial to become aware of the warning signs that accompany anorexia nervosa, bulimia, binge eating and compulsive exercising.
Follow these 10 bodybuilding diet tips, and the odds of getting ripped while staying healthy are greatly in your favor.