If you were to make a list of 10 books that became movies you must watch, it might surprise you how different in genre they are. Over the years, hundreds of books have been made into movies with varying success. Some have disappeared without a trace while others became timeless classics much like their literary counterparts.
- "The Bone Collector" – Denzel Washington starred as criminologist Lincoln Rhyme in this taut thriller. Originally a novel by Jeffery Deaver, this is one of books that became movies that must be watched.
- "Cold Mountain" – The tale of a wounded soldier who embarks on a journey home at the end of the civil war is one of at best books that became movies from this decade. The stellar cast, including Jude Law and Nicole Kidman, gives a faithful retelling of Charles Frazier's novel.
- "Hotel Rwanda" – Based on Paul Rusesabagina’s biography “An Ordinary Man,” Hotel Rwanda tells the story of the Rwandan genocide that occurred in the 1990’s. A compelling film with outstanding performances from Don Cheadle and Sophie Okonedo, it is one of the essential books that became movies list.
- "No Country For Old Men" – Another book that became a movie, this 2007 adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel launched actors Josh Brolin and Javier Bardem into the spotlight. Winning numerous awards, the film was one of the biggest hits of the decade.
- "Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of The Baskervilles" – Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce starred in this 1939 classic. One of the best books that became movies, the film perfectly captures the mood of the book.
- "Alice In Wonderland" – One of books that became a movie more than once. "Alice in Wonderland" has been both a Disney animation and a live action film. The most recent adaptation in 2010 includes a mercurial Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter.
- "1984" – George Orwell’s foreboding novel about a bleak future ruled by a governing body was successfully turned into a hit movie starring John Hurt. It is one of two books by the author that became movies.
- "Breakfast at Tiffany’s" – Perhaps more famous than the book, this film introduced the world to the talent of Audrey Hepburn. A true classic, the film continues to be a favorite for many and even inspired a song of the same name.
- "Bridges of Madison County" – Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep starred in this romantic story about a photographer who embarks on an affair with a lonely housewife. Beautifully shot, this is a faithful adaptation of the novel by Robert James Waller.
- "A Time To Kill" – With fine performances from an all star cast, this 1996 film captures the atmosphere of the book perfectly. John Grisham's novel is bought to life by powerful performances from Matthew Mcconaughey and Samuel L. Jackson.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?