10 Break Up Survival Tips
The 10 break up survival tips may not stop the heartbreak, but they will assist you in getting out alive. A break-up is often very difficult. Often you lose your best friend, or who you thought was your best friend, your lover and the object of your future dreams all in one swoop. Getting through without a nervous break-down is key.
- Cry. The first break up survival tip is to simply allow yourself to cry. Get out the large box of tissue, lay on your bed or get comfy on the couch and let it all out. Sob, cry and sniffle until it stops on it's own. Be prepared, this could take more than 24 hours.
- Eat. Often chocolate and other sweets or junk food helps in the process. This break up survival tip tells you to eat what you want. If a pizza sounds good, order one; if a pound of mints suits the need, buy them. Don't worry about gaining weight or having a skin break-out during this time.
- Do not contact your ex. The next break up survival tip is a "no contact" order for you and your ex. No phone calls, no email or texts. Communication with this person who has hurt your very soul can prolong the agony during this crucial initial period.
- Take a long bath. The next break up survival tip is relaxation. Fill a tub with warm water along with lavender or chamomile. Soak in the soothing water for as long as it feels good.
- Get up and clean up. After the first 48 hours have past, take this break up survival tip to heart. Take a shower, wash and style your hair and put on a nice outfit. While you may still be feeling bad, this step will let your brain know that life will go on.
- Call your friends. After the tears have subsided for the most part, call up friends to come visit. This break up survival tip can work if you need sympathy or a good laugh.
- Avoid the places you went. This break up survival tip focuses on the first week to two weeks after the break up. Avoid going to places you often went with your ex. This can restart the emotional rollercoaster. Save these spots for later.
- Go out. The next break up survival tip is to go out to the clubs, dinner or some other exciting or fun activity with your friends. Hitting a club to dance the night away gives you needed exercise and will take your mind off the last week of pain.
- Pick up a new habit. This break up survival tip involves putting a new activity into your life. A new book, learning to play a new game or taking up a new craft will fill that empty space. Volunteering at homeless shelters or hospitals is also a rewarding new habit.
- Start dating again. The final break up survival tip is to get back onto the market. Let the world know you are ready to date again. Tell friends, family members, co-workers or classmates about your desire to move on with life.