10 Budget Vacation Ideas
There are many low cost vacations that people can take annually, and listed are 10 budget vacation ideas you can consider. One thing to remember is to always try and plan ahead for any vacation, whether it's budget priced or expensive. Families especially want the best deals possible when it comes to vacations, and there are a few ways to cut costs, but still have lots of fun.
- Go camping. One of the best types of budget vacations is to go camping. You can camp locally in your state park or travel to a place like Yellowstone and explore all of the sights it has to offer. Costs for camping are minimal and include a possible park entrance fee, overnight camping fee, equipment rental (if you don't have your own camping equipment) and the cost of your own food.
- Go to the beach. There are some beach areas that allow camping or you could opt to stay in budget priced lodging that has a kitchenette. From there, you can prepare your own food to save money on meals.
- Take several day trips from home. If you don't have the extra cash to pay for lodging or campground fees but you have vacation time to do something fun, you can opt to take several budget priced day trips. Go to a park, the beach, a zoo, a free festival or something that you and your loved ones can enjoy.
- Plan a multi-family vacation. If you have friends or family that are looking to take a vacation around the same time as you, why not plan a budget vacation together? Share the costs of lodging; perhaps a time-share rental or cabin that will accommodate multiple people. You can also share food and activity costs.
- Take a cruise. There are several cruise lines that offer first time travelers amazing deals. This could be a budget vacation idea for you and a loved one or the entire family. Shorter cruise lengths will inevitably be cheaper compared to those lasting more than a week.
- Go on a family road trip. There are several scenic areas of the country you can travel to by car. One famous for its beautiful coastline is the Pacific Highway 101. This ocean-lined coast stretches from Washington State down through Southern California. All along this stretch of coastal highway is an abundant amount of inexpensive campgrounds, RV parks, hostels, cabin rentals and more.
- Pick a low cost destination. There are a few different places you can travel to rather cheaply. One is the state of Florida. Throughout the year, there are low budget vacation packages through various agencies. Orlando, Florida is one area where there are many attractions and things to do that can also be incorporated into a travel package deal for phenomenal prices. Another wondrous area that is quite inexpensive to travel to but also one of the most beautiful is the country of Belize. The US dollar goes a long way in this country with most accommodations costing under $20 nightly.
- Do a home exchange. There are opportunities in different parts of the world that allow the exchange of homes to assist you with your budget vacation plans. This would mean that someone would be living in your home while you are living in theirs.
- Cycling and Backpacking. Do you or your family enjoy the outdoors and looking to get some exercise during your vacation time? Then why not bicycle your way to your destination and carry all of your needed belongings both on your bike and in your pack. There are many national parks in most states where tourists can ride to, then camp. You could even fish from nearby lakes or rivers for some of your meals.
- Travel in the off season. Prices for vacations and lodging are usually more during high tourism times of the season. Wherever you plan on traveling to, check to see when the off-season is and opt to travel during this time to save money.