Sometimes you just have to get out of dodge. When the confines of routine and an empty piggy bank are turning you into a grumpy ogre, perhaps it is time to consider this list of 10 cheap beach destinations in the world. Whether seeking an escape, traveling on the cheap or looking to explore someplace you've never traveled, these locations each offer something worthwhile.
- Zanzibar. Of all the cheap beach destinations in the world, few sound quite as exotic as Zanzibar. Located 44 miles off the coast of Tanzania, this island group offers banda huts, festive and dirt cheap seafood barbecue in Stonetown and world class snorkeling and scuba diving.
- Cozumel. Cozumel offers Mayan ruins, cheap Mexican food and beer, drift dives for scuba lovers and moped excursions to the quiet Eastern side of the island.
- Nha Trang. Vietnam is a different world in the 21st century. Travelers unafraid of the unknown reap the rewards of very affordable lodging, delicious cuisine and warm seas that make this area a must for vagabonds seeking cheap beach destinations in the world.
- Paros. A part of the Cyclades island group in Greece, Paros is famous as the source of marble for the Venus de Milo. Hostels in the island's main town, Parikia, invite frugal travels with decent prices and close proximity to the water.
- Esperance. Located in Western Australia and relatively unknown to anyone but Australians, Esperance sits in between Cape Le Grand and Stokes National Park. Surfing, hiking and the occasional kangaroo lying nonchalantly on the sand are big draws.
- Port Gentil. This sleepy town in the West African nation of Gabon offers travelers one of the more fascinating cheap beach destinations in the world. A short drive from Wonga-Wongue National Park, visitors can relax on the beach when not observing elephants, chimps and lowland gorillas among others.
- Tinhare Island. Also known as Morro de Sau Paulo, this island group in Brazil is famous as a cheap beach destination. Four islands, no cars and plenty of room for either all night parties or romantic getaways.
- Utila. One of the Honduras Bay Islands, Utila has gained a deserved reputation as an excellent cheap beach destination in the world. For those interested in trying scuba diving for the first time, Utila is littered with dive shops and prices as a result are competitive.
- Phuket. The ultimate in cheap, sinful beach living, this island in the southeast of Thailand is well known as a cheap beach destination in the world. If there was ever a place to cut loose and go wild, Phuket is it.
- Cannon Beach. You don't have to travel to the end of the world to enjoy a cheap beach destination in the world. Oregon's Cannon Beach offers frugal travelers rugged, beautiful coastline just 80 miles west of Portland.