10 Cheap Date Ideas For Couples
If you’re currently short on cash, you’ll benefit from these 10 cheap date ideas for couples. You don’t need to spend hundreds of dollars to enjoy a romantic night with the girl of your dreams. Plenty of fun, cheap activities exist if you are willing to get creative. So, give your wallet a break and try these date ideas with your girlfriend.
- Dinner at home. For this cheap date idea, try to prepare a nice meal for your date. It can be an easy dish like pasta, but include fresh bread, salad and wine with it. She’ll get to sample a ton of food, but it won’t cost you a fortune. Plus, she’ll already be at your apartment, so you can savor her company after the meal.
- Happy hour. If you simply can’t stomach the thought of cooking, a cheap date idea is to find a local happy hour. In today’s economy, even the poshest of restaurants often offer happy hour specials on both food and drinks. Check the restaurant online to review their happy hour schedule; some restaurants won’t restrict you to the bar, so you’ll be able to get a romantic table for two.
- Game night. Resurrect all of your old board games and have a classic game night with your date. This cheap date idea will give you hours of entertainment and can be made sexier if you turn it into a drinking game. Be creative with the rules. For example, if you’re playing Monopoly, every time you land in jail or lose property, take a shot. You can also discard clothing when you lose in the game, which is a win for you.
- Museum visit. If your girlfriend loves art and learning about new things, plan a museum date. It can be a super cheap date idea for couples if you visit on the right day. Many museums offer either free admission or a reduced rate on particular days of the week when admissions are the slowest. Check online or call the museum to find out.
Picnic in the park. Take your date on a romantic stroll through a nearby park and find a secluded spot. Bring a basket of goodies that you can then share on a blanket, like wine, bread, cheese, salad and any other small bites she might enjoy. If you really want to make the day romantic, set up some music to play while you’re taking in the fresh air.
- Movie night. Instead of paying $15 to see the latest movie dud in theaters, save some money and watch a few great films you know will be good. Pick out a few classics that both you and she can enjoy, and have her over for some wine and a movie. Good films that will get her in the mood include "When Harry Met Sally" and "Casablanca."
- Beach trip. If you live close to the water, take advantage of your good fortune and plan a cheap date out in the sunshine. All you need is a blanket and your bathing suit to take in some surf. Get there later in the afternoon so you can watch the sunset and have a romantic beach stroll.
- Potluck dinner. If you’re having a group date with other couples, try making it a potluck instead of going out to a restaurant if you’re looking for a cheap date idea. Coordinate so that everyone is bringing a different food item; you can stick to a certain type of food like Italian or do a smorgasbord of foods.
- Local concerts. If you want to enjoy some live music but can’t afford tickets to a huge venue, try hitting up some local concerts for a cheap date idea. Check out the bands playing at your favorite bars and hangouts. You might even get the chance to discover fresh, upcoming talent.
- Dessert night. Instead of going out for an expensive meal, try having a late night dessert night around the town. This cheap date idea will have you sampling a few different desserts from bakeries, yogurt shops or chocolate stores around the city. Split one small item from each place you stop at, so you won’t fill yourself up.