You don’t have to be rich or fluent in Spanish to enjoy these 10 cheap travel destinations in South America – just culturally savvy and open to the possibility of eye-opening adventures.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina. Does life get any better than this? Likely not. For its cosmopolitan ambience, great food, and excellent accommodation – all of which comes for a stunningly low price – we nominate Buenos Aires as the number one cheap travel destination in South America.
- Cali, Colombia. Colombia’s third largest city is the best travel destination in South America for nightclub enthusiasts.
- Lima, Peru. Culinary freaks flock here to sample delicious Peruvian cuisine, served up cheap in the city’s restaurants.
- Montevideo, Uruguay. While it might not be South America’s most beautiful capitals, it is certainly one of its cheapest.
- Santiago, Chile. Santiago is recommended for sophisticated travelers with a wealth of interests. Using Chile’s capital as a base, you can explore riveting nightlife, sandy beaches and skiing in the nearby Andes Mountains all on the same trip.
- La Paz, Bolivia. You can explore La Paz’s world-class museums for less than one dollar.
- Chicama, Peru. This fishing port is known for being the most surfer-friendly cheap travel destination in South America.
- The Andes, Chile. For ski enthusiasts, the Andes are the most promising cheap travel destination in South America.
- Trujillo, Peru. Trujillo is home to a number of impressive archeological remains. Food and lodging is particularly inexpensive in this part of Peru.
- Chapada dos Veadeiros, Brazil. This is one of the more popular cheap travel destinations in South America for hiking enthusiasts. For a small fee, you are able to hire a guide who will lead you through twisting forest paths towards idyllic waterfalls, canyons and scenic vistas.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.