10 Cheap Travel Destinations
It’s not difficult to find cheap travel destinations. The difficult part is finding a place that matches your interests and ideas of what a perfect vacation should be. By looking beyond the conventional, you very well might surprise yourself and wind up having the time of your life in the process.
- Prague, Czech Republic. Still the king of cheap travel destinations, Prague’s world-class attractions, beautiful people and cosmopolitan nightlife scene can’t be defeated. Invest $40 in a Prague Card--valid for four days--which gets you in for free to more than 50 of the city’s top attractions.
- Black Sea Coast, Bulgaria. In terms of European beach vacations, you can’t get much cheaper than Bulgaria’s Black Sea Coast. Stay in Sozopol or Nesebar, quaint towns where accommodations are available for as little as ten dollars per night.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina. Transportation, food and accommodations are all bargain priced in this urban hotspot, making the Argentine capital our top choice among the many cheap travel destinations in Latin America. The city’s San Telmo district is full of budget hotels.
- Phuket, Thailand. Phuket is Thailand’s largest island and something of a haven for water sports enthusiasts. Here you can enjoy snorkeling, swimming, windsurfing and deep-sea fishing for pretty cheap. Hotel rooms are available for as little as fifteen dollars per night.
- Bali, Indonesia. For party animals, the island of Bali may as well be the best cheap travel destination in the world. Once you discover how cheap long-term accommodation on the island is–you can rent a house for as little as $4,000 a year–you might decide to stick around for a lot longer!
- Ljubljana, Slovenia. Ljubljana might be one of Europe’s tiniest capital cities, but it’s also one of the more fascinating. The city’s old town is home to architectural relics, such as the famous Triple Bridge, and is dotted with sidewalk cafes. Overall, Ljubljana is a vital, yet sadly often overlooked, cheap vacation destination.
- Washington, District of Columbia. The nation’s capital is home to a barrage of fascinating museums, such as the Smithsonian. Entrance to all of them is free.
- Berlin. Many people are surprised to hear that Berlin is still a cheap travel destination. After all, most Western European capitals are known for being expensive, but Berlin is comparatively cheap in terms of food and accommodation, leaving your wallet full for when the sun comes down and the city’s notoriously crazy nightlife kicks in. You can get dormitory accommodation at the Generator Hostel for as little as ten euros per night.
- Lamu, Kenya. Staying in Lamu takes you back in time with its impressive medieval architecture and the fact that the chief mode of transportation is by donkey! Wallow away your days on the island’s white sand beach and visit the Lamu Museum where you can learn about the Swahili culture that you will be surrounded by throughout your visit.
- Santa Marta, Colombia. Hotels are cheap and you can go to the beach almost 365 days a year in Santa Marta, which is why we’ve selected it to round out our list of cheap travel destinations. You should try and make it to at some point in your life. Dormitory accommodation is available for as little as $3.50 per night at the Hotel Miramar.