10 Cheap Travel Tips
Don't plan your next trip without reading these 10 cheap travel tips first! It really is possible to save money when you travel, no matter what your travel destination. Whether you're heading to the mountains for a ski trip, to the islands for a week in the sun, or just a weekend back home visiting Mom and Dad, these ten cheap travel tips can help you do it for less money.
- Pack Less! It's always been solid travel advice, but in these days when most airlines are adding on charges for checked bags, it's an important cheap travel tip. If you're just going for a weekend, you'll be surprised how much you can fit in a carry-on bag. And there are plenty of items you can do without, too. You'll save considerable cash by not checking any luggage - and you'll breeze right out of the airport while the others are still waiting for their bags!
- Skip the designer brands. Speaking of luggage, there's no need to splurge on the expensive stuff. Decent quality, low-cost luggage can be found at your local big box discount store. Just remember to decorate it with colorful yarn or luggage tags before you go. All that luggage looks the same when it comes down the carousel.
- Travel in the off-season. While you can't really take a ski vacation in the middle of summer, many family destinations offer substantially lower prices during the off seasons. Everything from theme parks to Caribbean cruises can be had for less at the end of summer, when kids have started back to school.
- Look for extras. While airport pick-up shuttles are standard when looking for cheap travel, many hotels offer extra perks to their guests, from discounted tickets for local attractions to free meals for kids.
- Enjoy the amenities. Apart from being a cheap travel tip, you should remember that vacations are a time to rest and recharge. You can't do that if you're on the go all the time. Take a day or two to just relax at your hotel and enjoy the swimming pool and hot tub. You're paying for the privilege, so take advantage of it! And it saves you money that you would have spent on transportation or tickets.
- Stay with family or friends. If you've got family or friends in the area, consider staying with them while on vacation can really help with cheap travel. While you might not want to take advantage of them for your whole trip, visiting for a couple of nights can save you $200 or more on hotel fees.
- Consider a house swap. House swapping is a great way to get cheap travel. If you live in an area that is of interest to travelers, check with house swapping sites and see if you can find someone interested in trading homes for a week.
- Try couch-surfing. Couch-surfing is a wonderful way save money by finding great people who are willing to open their homes up to travelers for a few nights. This is an especially great cheap travel tip if you're traveling alone, as the hosts are often willing to show you around town or at least point you in the right direction and give you a local's expertise.
- Always look for discounts. Use online travel sites to find the lowest cheap travel airfare and hotel rates. You can often get the best prices by having flexible travel dates.
- Eat in when possible. While it's tempting to eat out for every meal, you'll save considerable cash by buying a loaf of bread and some sandwich fixings to make your own lunch.