Listening to the 10 cheesy songs from the 90's just might bring a smile to your face. Whether it's because of the hilarious lyrics or the crazy subject matter, everyone loves a cheesy song, and the 90's had some of the all-time best.
- “Rico Suave” by Gerardo. Long before anyone knew the name Ricky Martin, Gerardo led a miniature Latin invasion of his own. In 1990’s salsa-infused hip-hop song “Rico Suave,” he managed to be terrible in two different languages, spending four cheesy minutes telling everyone how awesome he was.
- “Achy Breaky Heart” by Billy Ray Cyrus. It’s difficult to think about this cheesy 1992 song and not picture the epic mullet that Cyrus sported in the video. That being said, the song itself is pretty epic, too. With lines like: “You can tell my lips to tell my fingertips / They won’t be reachin’ out for you no more,” this song is cheese-tastic.
- “Baby Got Back” by Sir Mix-A-Lot. Much like George Washington, Sir Mix-A-Lot cannot lie. He also likes big butts, a point made abundantly clear in this 1992 hip-hop ode to all things booty. This cheesy song was his biggest hit, and it also earned a Grammy. Yes, you read that correctly. A song about asses won a Grammy.
- “I’m Too Sexy” by Right Said Fred. There’s no shortage of bravado in this 1992 techno hit from the album “Up.” The lyrics are cheesy fun, depicting a male model who’s so stuck on himself that he makes a list of all the things he out-sexies: “I’m too sexy for my shirt / So sexy it hurts.”
- “The Humpty Dance” by Digital Underground. As the only one of the ten cheesy songs from the ‘90s to feature instructional dancing in its lyrics, this 1990 rap song is in a class by itself. Lyrics like: “I’m spunky / I like my oatmeal lumpy” guarantee this song’s place in cheesy history.
- “One Week” by Barenaked Ladies. For some reason, Canadian alt-rockers Barenaked Ladies thought it would be a good idea to rap the verses of this 1998 song. Surprisingly, it’s not the rapping that makes this a cheesy song, but the random and incoherent pop culture references: “Chickity China the Chinese Chicken / Have a drumstick and your brain stops tickin.”
- “My Name Is” by Eminem. Of all the musicians contributing to the ten cheesy songs from the ‘90s, Eminem probably has the most lyrical talent. However, this 1999 hip-hop novelty song is an utter misfire. It’s funny the first time you hear it, annoying the second time, then finally just plain cheesy.
- “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice. Using the bassline from Queen and David Bowie’s “Under Pressure,” this cheesy 1990 song powered Vanilla ice to the top of the charts as his one and only hit. The lyrics tell a flimsy story of pseudo-tough guy life in Florida: “Gunshots rang out like a bell / I grabbed my nine all I heard were shells.”
- “I Wanna Sex You Up” by Color Me Badd. We’re not sure what it means to be sexed up, but it sounds pretty uncomfortable. No one in 1991 seemed to mind, though, and this cheesy song became a major hit in spite of head-scratching lyrics like: “Makin’ love until we drown.”
- “Peaches” by The Presidents of the United States of America. 1996 saw the release of “Peaches” from The Presidents’ self-titled debut album. Surprisingly enough, this cheesy song from the 90's is actually about peaches, and not an innuendo for something else: “Peaches come in a can / They were put there by a man / In a factory downtown.”
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…