10 Christian Dating Rules
In the United States, Christians form the largest religious majority, so it is most likely that anyone dating in the good ole United States of America will at some point go out with a Christian and will need the following 10 Christian dating rules to guide them. Remember, the term "Christian" covers many denominations with many viewpoints and practices. Even Christians dating Christians might find differing beliefs stemming from their religious denominations can strain a relationship. Additionally, it can be even more difficult if you are from a different religion altogether, like Islam or Judaism, or have no beliefs whatsoever.
- Find out her views on dating outside of her Christian religion or denomination. Is she hardcore about religion and intolerant of other views? Do you share the same religion? If not, are you willing to convert to her religion or denomination? If not, it's time to determine how serious a relationship you want with this girl.
- Respect her religious viewpoints even if you don't always agree. For instance, if she was raised in a strict denomination that forbade dancing, don't say things like, "Hey, Chrissy has never danced before because she belongs to one of those weirdo Christian sects." It will make her feel like a circus freak. Additionally, don't try to tell a date why her religion or denomination is wrong, stupid or unjust and why yours is superior.
- Attend her church. You may find her religion is very similar to yours or just too far from your comfort zone. Get to know the people in her church and see if you like the atmosphere.
- Ask about her family's viewpoints on religion. Is her family open to her dating people outside the Christian faith or denomination? Family pressure can be enormous and may cause real headaches in a relationship.
- Don't assume anything about a woman just because she says she is a Christian. For instance, don't assume all Christians will be right-wing conservatives or every Catholic will be against the death penalty. Talk with her and find out what she believes. Many Christians today tailor the beliefs of their church with their own view of the world.
- Ask her opinion about what to do on dates. She may not want to see that new movie you thought would be a good first date because her church has deemed it inappropriate. "The Da Vinci Code" is an example of a movie the Catholic Church asked its members not to see.
- Take cues from her actions. If it is obvious she is very conservative and a kiss or more is a no-no on a first date, respect that. If she doesn't drink, don't take her to a party where you know people are going to get hammered.
- Do find out the specifics of her Christian faith without being too intrusive. Have a conversation about her faith and yours. At some point, you should find out how her denomination views sexual relations. More than likely she will let you know during the course of a conversation, so there is no reason to point blank ask.
- Be honest with yourself and with your date about your own beliefs, whether they are Christian or not. How involved are you with your own religion? How much does religion matter to you with regard to a potential date and/or long-term relationship? What are your family's viewpoints?
- Find out her viewpoints on drinking. While most Christian faiths have no problem with occasional drinking, there are a few sects, such as the Mormons (there are some who consider Mormons not Christians--that is whole other discussion), that consider any drinking a sin.