Nothing says nostalgia like these 10 classic 80's rock love songs. Break out the hairspray, pop in a John Hughes movie, and crank up these sweet songs from some of the best rock artists of the decade. Only rock stars need apply: you won't find "Total Eclipse of the Heart" on this list.
- "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses. Even if you only remember this 1988 hit from the telltale opening guitar riff or Axl Rose's signature dance moves, "Sweet Child O' Mine" is one of the best rock love songs of the decade. The song hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and remains the band's only number-one US single.
- "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner. Foreigner wanted to know what love was and they wanted you to show them. So the country made this song the number one hit on the Billboard charts in 1984. And that, boys and girls, is how Foreigner learned about love.
- "Faithfully" by Journey. This song is unusual for this list because the power ballad only made it to number twelve on the 1983 Billboard charts, but we knew we'd be campaigned by a thousand next-generation Journey fans if we didn't include one of the band's signature ballads.
- "Patience" by Guns N' Roses. This 1989 rock love song made whistling romantic again for the first time since Gene Kelly did it in "Singin' in the Rain."
- "Alone" by Heart. The 80's marked a significant comeback for the 70's megastars behind classics like "Magic Man" and "Crazy on You." No one's got a better voice in rock than Ann Wilson, and she proved she could still nail any note in this 1987 number-one Billboard hit.
- "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. This 1985 hit may have struck a chord with a generation of "We're Just Friends" relationships, but it also spawned one of the trippiest music videos of all time.
- "Amanda" by Boston. With this 1986 chart-topping hit, Boston ensured that every Amanda in the country would be asked out on a date to the chorus of "I'm gonna tell you like a man, and make you understand, Amanda."
- "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. Leave it to Sting and the Police to make stalking seem romantic with this 1983 number-one song.
- "Waiting for a Girl Like You" by Foreigner. Marking the second power ballad by Foreigner on this list, the band entered the 80's knowing exactly how to tug heartstrings and still remain cool at the same time with this 1981 single.
- "Almost Paradise" by Mike Reno and Ann Wilson. What happens when the Queen of Heart and Loverboy's lead singer join up to record a rock love song for the movie "Footloose?" Well, in this case, magic. Reno and Wilson make a masterful team in this single that made it to number seven on the 1984 Billboard Hot 100 charts.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.