Songwriters have found inspiration from love since the dawn of music, and here are 10 classic rock love songs to serve as prime examples. They are karaoke and mix tape favorites that still get airplay decades after being written. Love provides a timeless subject.
- "I Need You" by America. With gentle harmonies and piano melody, this song expresses the vulnerable male side of a break up. The lyric, "I need you like the flower needs the rain," is honest and touching. Who wouldn't melt at that?
- "Ever Breath You Take" by The Police. A testament of devotion by one of the greatest bands in history. The woman he sings of is consuming his waking life and his dreams.
- "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton. Clapton describes an evening with his love in this song. He is feeling wonderful because of "the love light" in her eyes. This classic rock love song is a soft and perfect for a slow dance.
- "Sunshine Superman" by Donovan. He's a man on a mission who will do whatever it takes to win his love's affection. Donovan has superhero powers and promises to blow the mind of his crush once she submits.
- "Happy Together" by The Turltes. This is a true classic rock love ballad. The lyrics make the definitive statement, "the only one for me is you and you for me." This song is so upbeat and triumphant you can't help but smile.
- "I'll Stand By You" by The Pretenders. Everyone wants to hear that they are not alone. In this song, singer Crissy Hynde expresses that she's a protector for her love and will always be there.
- "Feel Like Makin' Love" by Bad Company. This song starts off sweet and quiet then rocks out with heavy guitar and sexy vocals. It's a great mix of passion and romance showcasing classic rock love at its best.
- "Sunshine Of Your Love" by Cream. Hard rock guitar and willful lyrics make this a great classic rock love song. The music is driving and hypnotic, and the guitar solo is incredible.
- "You're My Best Friend" by Queen. Experts say that your significant other should be your best friend. This song really captures what that feels like. Freddy Mercury's voice is one of a kind and is matched with heartfelt lyrics in this song.
- "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles. No classic rock love song list would be complete without The Beatles. Love conquers all is the theme of this song, and it applies to all of life.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.