10 College Men's Fashion Tips
If you’ve been on a campus lately, you know that a lot of guys are in need of 10 college men’s fashion tips. Colleges are generally pretty casual places as far as fashion goes, but that’s no excuse for looking like a complete scrub. A good fashion sense will help you look good and feel better about yourself, which in turn has some pretty great effects of its own. Check out these college fashion tips before you head out the door.
- Clean clothes are a must. As college guys, we’ve all done it at least once. You don’t wash your clothes as often as you should, so you end up picking up a wrinkled old t shirt off the floor or out of the hamper. If you’re going for the homeless person look, this is great. If not, wash your clothes.
- Avoid clothes with name brands advertised on them. If you have a closet full of old American Eagle or Hollister shirts that you never wear anymore, you’ll know what I’m talking about. Solid colored t-shirts or ones with simpler designs don’t go out of style as quickly.
- Groom yourself. If you grow a patchy, nasty looking beard, shave it. Take showers daily. This is all basic stuff, but in a college classroom you’re bound to see guys who don’t do it. It is not wise to be one of those people.
- Wear shirts that fit well. Most college guys are trained to avoid dressing rooms like the plague. Use them the next time you buy shirts, and you’ll improve the way they look on you immediately. The fact is, a shirt that fits well always looks better than one that doesn’t.
- Avoid ultra skinny and ultra loose jeans. These pants are reserved for effeminate hipsters and wannabe '90s rappers. Some nice casual fitting jeans, without holes or whitewashing, are a staple of any well dressed college man’s wardrobe.
- Similarly, shorts are meant to stop at the knee. The era of letting shorts sag to your lower shins has come and gone. Shorts that come to right around the knee cap area are always in, and now that you’re in college and a quasi-adult, it’s time to at least kind of dress like one.
- Cargo pants and shorts are not casual wear. Unless you’re venturing into the wilderness alone for a few weeks or are a member of U.S. Special Forces, cargo pants aren’t a good fashion choice for a college age guy. Regular pockets hold everything you really need to carry with you.
- The sweatpants-in-class look is reserved for girls. A lot of college girls rock sweatpants to class; it’s considered acceptable casual wear for them. For college guys it’s a different story. Throwing on some jeans is just as easy. Note: if you’re rolling out of bed fifteen minutes after class starts, ignore this rule.
- Wear shirts with sleeves. Unless you’re headed to the recreation center for a workout, sleeveless shirts scream “tool”. This rule also applies to gym shorts.
- Have a nice pair of shoes that aren’t sneakers. Even in college, the rare occasion where you actually have to dress nicely will occur eventually. Unfortunately, slacks and sneakers will never come in style. Have some brown or black leather shoes in your apartment or dorm room just in case a formal event comes up.