If you desire a durable relationship, you'll want to know 10 communication tips for couples. Relationships in general last longer when communication between the two parties is effective. Furthermore, effective communication is useful skill to have. Here are a few tips that will ensure better communication in your relationship.
Take turns speaking. Avoid interrupting when your partner is speaking. At the same time, talking too much can be as unproductive. The best strategy to ensure that both voices are heard is to allocate the same amount of time that you speak to your partner and vice versa.
- Consider external factors that form the makeup of your partner's reasoning. From this perspective, you learn to understand how a person's environment, upbringing and culture affect their thought process, behavior and feelings, thereby avoiding biases and judgmental opinions. This perspective enables you when you disagree with your partner to reason and understand their point of view.
Speak in the "I" voice. Try rewording your language by saying "I" instead of "you." For example, instead of saying, "Work is overbearing. Sometimes you feel like packing everything and taking a vacation," state, "Work is overbearing. Sometimes I feel like packing everything and taking a vacation." Speaking in the "you" assumes that what you are saying is relatable to the person when this may not be the case.
- Be empathetic. If your partner feels strongly about a situation, show her that you care what she is saying. Demonstrating concern and sensitivity.
- Have a positive outlook. Sometimes when we disagree, we lose sight of positive aspects. This is why it is important to focus on the strengths of a situation. Avoid using negative words in your language such, as "can't."
- Be clear in what you mean. This means avoiding confusing language, analogies and jargon. Being concrete in what you mean prevents your partner from drawing wrong conclusions. Use words and terminology that your partner uses.
- Do not assume your partner feelings. Try summarizing, paraphrasing and mirroring the language your partner uses instead of assuming how they feel. This communication tip for couples promotes a safe way to derive information from your partner without appearing judgmental.
- Be attentive. Avoid multitasking when you are speaking with your partner. This includes simple tasks, such as texting. Listening is the key to effective communication for couples.
- Respond to your partner in a way that is solution-seeking. This communication tip for couples works miracles during conflict. Solutions seeking responses are responses that move the conversation forward through solution strategies. For instance, if you and your partner have a problem, instead of focusing on the problem, focus on the solution.
- Implement the here and now perspective. It is easy to lose train of thought, clarity and concreteness in communication when you mention past situations. This particular perspective is a useful communication tip for couples during disagreement.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.