If you need to know 10 country songs about jobs that are sure to irritate your employer, this list can help. If you would rather keep your job, you can listen to them after a rough day at work. Playing or singing Sixteen Tons repeatedly while on the job is valid grounds for termination in most fields.
- “Sixteen Tons” by Tennessee Ernie Ford. Who has not felt like their boss has treated them like a Nineteenth Century Coal Miner. This ballad resonates in the soul of anyone who has been overworked, underpaid and unappreciated.
- “Take This Job and Shove It” by David Allen Coe. When you cannot take the boss, the customers, or your co-workers any more, just sing this song on your way out the door. Anyone over the age of 25 has had at least one crappy job.
- “Working 9 to 5” by Dolly Parton. If you saw Miss Parton perform this song when she first released it, you may not have been looking at her face. Now that the artist and you have matured you can understand the song is about toiling away just to get by.
- “Casey Jones” by Johnny Cash. Casey Jones was an engineer. He was not, as the Grateful Dead suggest, driving his train high on cocaine. Jones caused the accident that killed him, but he’s still considered a working class hero for telling his subordinate to get off the train.
- “John Henry” by Johnny Cash. The man in black tells the story about an African-American who works himself to death standing up for his principles.
- “Go Down Moses, Let My People Go.” A few Bluegrass gospel bands have covered this old time African American spiritual.
- “Haul Away, Joe" by The Men of the Robert Shaw Chorale. Despite the name, this is not about garbage men performing their unsung but necessary task.
- “Chain Gang” by Sam Cooke. Although this is technically a soul song, it has a very country-like feel to it. Willie Nelson has never been on a chain gang.
- “The Farmer Is the Man,” American Folk Song. In today’s America, the hard-working farmer is the man.
- “Talking Union Blues,” American Folk Song. Unions no longer have the power they once held, but early members of the labor movement have made things easier for every single modern worker in the United States.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.