10 Crazy Skateboarding Tricks
Various tricks and treats have been introduced since skateboarding became more than just a hobby, and the 10 crazy skateboarding tricks listed involve freestyle skateboarding, famed for creativity, variety, fluidity and most importantly difficulty. The list of crazy skateboarding tricks could very well go on forever with fans experimenting with newer techniques and more difficult versions, as well as inventing new tricks.
- Spacewalk – Riding on the back-wheels of the skates while doing a Manual, the skater swings the board around holding it by the nose. To make the “Spacewalk” look real the board is swung as wide as possible. The only criteria is that the front wheels should not touch the ground while performing the trick. Some variations of the Spacewalk are Backward Spacewalk, Nose Spacewalk and Hang Ten Spacewalk.
- Judo Air – Tony Hawk invented this grab trick by nose grabbing the skateboard while on one foot. The name is derived from the mock martial art kick done with the front foot which extends to the board’s toe-side.
- Japan Air or Tuck Knee – This is a grab trick in which the skater holds the skating board parallel to his body in mid air. This is done by performing an Ollie on a bent ramp and when in mid air the skater holds the toe edge of the board with his front hand simultaneously twisting away his body from the grip and dropping with his front knee facing the deck. This grab trick is made more difficult by tweaking the board further out to make it more stylish.
- Jolly Mamba –The Jolly Mamba is a lip trick that the skater performs on mini ramps, half or quarter pipes. The balancing is done on the “lip” of the pipe or ramp and hence the name. To perform the Jolly Mamba, the skater does a Frontside Invert, back-flipping as he reaches the peak of the invert and lands to Fakie.
- Pogo – Here the skater holds the board straight between his legs using it like a stick. One leg holds the grip-tape on the board while the other leg balances the wheels as the skater hops on the toe-side of the board.
- Jawbreaker – First introduced by Primo Desiderio, this is an improvised (read: more difficult) version of the TV Stand trick. In this trick a handstand is performed holding the top truck of the board with the stronger arm.
- Walk the Dog – Here the board is spun at 180 degrees around the center foot. To do this trick place one foot on the board’s center, step the back foot to the board’s nose and bring it to the back causing the board to spin at 180 degrees. Some variations of this trick are spinning the board a number of times in a row with great speed or doing it backwards.
- Woolly Mammoth: This is a lip trick Fakie performed with a Frontside Invert. The back hand grabs the board while the front hand helps balance by holding the wall.
- Willy Grind – This is a difficult and rarely performed trick. In this trick the skateboard’s front truck slides or nose-grinds on the grinding surface with the back truck hanging downwards. Some variations include spinning the board.
No Foot-air: As the skater jumps over the ramp he holds the board with one hand and does a Superman-style pose in mid air, placing the board back under his legs just before landing.