If you’re in the midst of a serious bromance, these 10 cute songs for friends may be just what you need to express to your hetero-lifemate how much you enjoy his totally platonic, nonsexual companionship. Throw these on a mix CD and he will be yours forever. But, you know, not in a gay sort of way. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
- “Friendship” by Tenacious D. As long as there’s a record deal, Tenacious D will always be friends. This ode to friendship by the humorous rock duo will warm the cockles of your BFF’s heart.
- “Friends” by Flight of the Concords. If you prefer your novelty music duos to have neat foreign accents instead of a debilitating pot habit, you might go with Flight of the Concords instead of Tenacious D. Both duos had a short-lived television series and both like to sing about being friends. Maybe they should hook up and have a friendship four-way.
- “We’re Going to Be Friends” by The White Stripes. Who wouldn’t want to be friends with Jack White? He’s such a cool guy. How many bands is he in now? Eight? Ten? We keep sending him emails in the hopes that he will want to be friends with us, but so far he has not yet responded to any of them. Meg is so lucky.
- “I Found a New Friend” by They Might Be Giants. This song is seven seconds long and slightly disturbing, but what better way to show your bestie how hilarious you are than by throwing him a curveball in your friendship mix CD?
- “We Could Be Friends” by Freelance Whales. Freelance Whales may spend a little too much time trying to sound like Sufjan Stevens, but their twee-indie rock is still kind of endearing. This cute song for friends is a great opener for situations when your friendship is not yet in full bloom.
- “Thank You Friends” by Big Star. Show your gratitude for your friends with this cute, upbeat, peppy song from Big Star. If they don’t reciprocate with hugs, then there is something terribly wrong with them and you should suggest that they seek psychological counseling. If they take offense and break up with you, then they were never really your friends in the first place.
- “Best Friends” by The Drums. Use this cute song for friends who have not yet gotten the hint that you’re not just friends, you’re best friends. For maximum effect, play it on a loop over and over again while chopping things in your kitchen and talking about how glad you are that they would never, ever do anything to betray you.
- “Imaginary Friend” by Telekinesis! Maybe real-world relationships aren’t your thing. You’ve tried and tried, but you just can’t connect with anyone on a deep level. Don’t fret! Telekinesis! has your back with this song about imaginary friends. Imaginary friends are great because they won’t hurt you like real people will. Unless, we suppose, your imagination is tainted by an excess of self-loathing.
- “Thank You for Being a Friend” by Cindy Fee. If your best friend is a post-menopausal yet inexplicably libidinous female, this song is the perfect choice. If your best friend is not a post-menopausal yet inexplicably libidinous female, well then we just can’t relate to you. Sorry.
- “You’ve Got a Friend” by James Taylor. This cute song for friends also doubles as a great friendship test. If your friend is willing to suffer through this entire song just to make you happy, then he’s a keeper. Take that one home to meet your mother. Then explain to her for the umpteenth time that you’re not friends with him in that way. Jeez, Mom!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Warning! 7 Lies All Women Tell Men
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.