10 Dieting Tips For Diabetics
Looking for 10 dieting tips for diabetics? Sometimes it can seem like our backs are against the wall when dieting with diabetes. Our bodies are already working against us, so it makes it a struggle to lose the weight and keep it off. Follow these 10 dieting tips for diabetics to improve your overall well-being:
- Limit carbohydrates to a minimum. Any diabetic will tell you that carbohydrates are a stumbling block when trying to diet while being a diabetic. Limiting carbohydrates to the right number for the body could help the diabetic patient diet quite effectively. Blood sugar will stabilize, causing the diet to be successful.
- Stray away from all sweets. Sugar is the fastest way to spike blood sugar levels in a diabetic. Sugar is a major no-no when trying to diet as a diabetic. It is best that you avoid all sugar. Artificial sweeteners are an alternative, but try not to go overboard on the artificial sweeteners or your body will crave sweets. That will cause the diet to become less successful.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. Eating fruits and vegetables is very effective when trying to diet as a diabetic. They enter the bloodstream more slowly, making you feel more energized. They also are packed with vitamins, and that is a plus when trying to diet.
- Drink artificially sweetened protein shakes. Protein shakes are a good meal replacement. They keep us full longer and do not affect our blood sugar levels. Be careful not to go overboard on the protein. Too much protein could be converted into carbohydrates, and that alone will crash the diet and spike blood sugar levels.
- Eat more beans. Beans are a good source of fiber. Fiber helps move food through the intestines and colon. Any diabetic could benefit from beans when dieting. Beans are very healthy, easy to cook and low in calories.
- Eat baked fish. Fish is packed with plenty of protein and is low in fat. Fish is versatile and fits whatever diet you are on. It is very easy and fast to cook.
- Try nuts for a snack. If you are feeling hungry on the go, try any type of nuts. Most nuts are a good source of protein and fiber. You don't have to cook them and they help diabetics to not cheat on their diet. That is because they can be eaten anytime, anywhere. Be sure to avoid sugar-coated nuts. Plain, salted or roasted nuts are best when dieting with diabetes.
- Avoid processed foods. Processed foods are packed with excess chemicals and carbohydrates. This is one of the most important tips. Processed foods will spike your blood sugar the same way sugar will. Avoid all processed foods if possible.
- Avoid fried foods. Fried foods add extra, unnecessary carbohydrates to the meal. When dieting with diabetes, no fried food battered in flour is acceptable. This could make a diabetic's diet unsuccessful.
- Stay hydrated. No matter what phase the dieter is at in his diet, drinking enough water should be the main part of the diet. Divide your body weight in half. The number you get is the amount of ounces in water you are to drink everyday. If you are an active individual, add ten more ounces.