If you want to contribute something tasty for the holidays, here are 10 easy things to cook for Thanksgiving. You may end up adopting some of them for life.
- Chimichurri Sauce. If you are a garlic lover, you’ll adore this Argentinean sauce that adds zest to your Thanksgiving turkey or vegetarian alternative. Chop one cup of flat-leaf parsley and a medium onion finely. Mix one cup of olive oil and 5 cloves of garlic in a blender; blend for a minute. Pour this garlic-perfumed oil over the parsley and onion. Add two tbsp. of white vinegar, salt and red hot pepper flakes to taste. Chimichurri (pronounced “chee-mee-chou-rree.”) is traditionally used for BBQ and also as a marinade.
- Fried Green Tomatoes. Who doesn’t remember the great movie “Fried Green Tomatoes” in the early nineties? Besides providing an excellent conversation for Thanksgiving, those tomatoes are delicious. Slice 3 or 4 green tomatoes into ½ inch pieces. Whisk 2 eggs with three tbsp. of milk, salt and pepper. Dip the tomatoes into this mixture. In a deep bowl, thoroughly mix one cup of all-purpose flour, salt, pepper, and a cup of cracker crumbs. Coat the egged tomato slices with the flour blend. Heat 2 tsp. of olive oil in a large skillet and fry both sides until lightly browned.
- Grilled Tomatoes. Slice 4 firm tomatoes and spread them on a baking pan. Add pepper, and cover completely with shredded cheese. Sprinkle with dry basil, and grill for two minutes, or until the cheese gets an appealing golden color. Sprinkle with soy sauce. The aroma of the basil flows beautifully over the table.
- Tomato, Cilantro and Basil Salad. Place 4 sliced, firm tomatoes, a cup of fresh chopped cilantro, a cup of fresh, crushed basil leaves, a ½ cup of thin pieces of cheese, one tbsp. of olive oil, salt and pepper in a salad bowl. The incredible fragrance of the cilantro and basil is the success of this easy combination, guaranteed.
- Rice Cakes. Place one cup of steamed rice with a chopped, medium size onion in a large bowl. Add pepper, 3 whisked eggs, and mix well. In a large skillet, heat two tsp. of olive oil and pour small portions of rice with a spoon, forming hamburger-like patties. Fry each piece until the edges turn a golden color. Cook the other side. Place the patties on absorbent paper towels and serve them with a drizzle of soy sauce. If you don’t want to fry every patty, make pancake-size portions, and slice them into 2 by 1-inch pieces.
- Pico de Gallo Sauce. Who said that “pico de gallo,” which literally means “rooster’s beak,” can be used only in Mexican food? This extraordinarily tasty and super easy raw sauce can enhance a simple cooked plate of rice and/or noodles. Try it. Chop two large, firm tomatoes, one medium onion and a cup of fresh cilantro. Add salt. Do not use a food processor. If you chop more than needed, it will affect the quality of the sauce and its flavor. Let everything sit for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Semi-sweet Rice. Cook a cup of rice with two cups of your favorite cola soda. Stir-fry broccoli, mushrooms, shallots, or any vegetables of your choice. Mix together and sprinkle with soy sauce.
- Grilled shallots. Place two bunches of shallots in a skillet with a little oil. As they cook, add salt and squeeze in fresh lime; toss until browned. Delicious.
- Garbanzo Salad. Mix a small can of drained garbanzos with ¼ cup of white vinegar and ½ cup of chopped purple onion. Add salt and one tsp. of dry oregano. Let it for 20 minutes before serving.
- Quick Kahlua Cake Enhancement. For any cake made from a box and/or a regular pound cake. Combine 1/4 cup of condensed milk, 1/4 cup of regular milk, and 1/4 cup of Kahlua. Puncture the surface of the cake with a fork, and pour the kahlua mix lightly over the cake. The result will be a delicious moist cake.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
25 Rules of Style Every Man Should Follow
Wear by them.