Before high blood pressure causes you a lifetime of medical woes, try these 10 easy ways to control high blood pressure. Uncontrolled high blood pressure doesn't go away, it can lead to a heart attack, stroke or worse—permanently damaging organs like the kidneys, liver and heart. Although there are medications available to control high blood pressure, you can help reduce your blood pressure in 10 easy ways before resorting to drugs.
- Slim FAST: Many times, high blood pressure goes hand in hand with obesity and type 2 diabetes, which are all difficult to manage. Maintaining a healthy weight is one way to reduce your high blood pressure and your risk of getting diabetes. In particular, pay attention to your waist, because carrying extra weight around your midsection increases your risk for these conditions. Follow a sensible and nutritious diet to keep your waistline in check, and watch that blood pressure drop down.
- Feel The Burn: Although exercise does raise your blood pressure, it's extremely good for your body, helping you to keep your weight in check and your metabolism running. Do at least 30 minutes of cardio exercise three times a week to see immediate results, and go for the gold by adding a few days of strength training to firm up your muscles.
- Go Easy On The Salt: The recommended daily allowance of sodium for healthy humans is between 400 and 2400 milligrams a day. Staying within this range is an easy way to immediately bring down high blood pressure.
- Simmer Down: Stress increases high blood pressure by causing the adrenal glands to go into "fight or flight" mode. When this happens the body produces a hormone called cortisol, which, in large quantities can increase abdominal fat. If you feel the stress coming on, take steps to reduce stress and control high blood pressure through healthy ways like exercise, meditation, yoga or deep breathing exercises.
- Put Out The Pipe: Although many stressed out people may smoke to reduce stress, it actually increases blood pressure. Heavy smokers can also cause damage to their arteries along with spiking their blood pressure, so quitting smoking tobacco products will control high blood pressure and reduce the risk of winding up in the ER with a busted artery.
- Bag The Binge: Binge drinking alcohol, binge eating, binge-anything puts an unnecessary strain on your body and sending your blood pressure sky high. Limiting your intake of alcoholic beverages means you are less likely to overeat, smoke or have a huge hangover the next day. It will also control your blood pressure.
- Bring Back Snacktime: Instead of eating three huge meals a day, spread out your calories throughout the day to keep your blood sugar stable. This will help manage your blood pressure, too, keeping it even and steady. Healthy snacks with vitamins and minerals like potassium, magnesium, and vitamins B, C and E are excellent ways to control high blood pressure and keep up your energy.
- Rally The Troops: Let your friends and family know you are trying to make these healthy lifestyle changes to control your high blood pressure and enlist their help in avoiding temptation. You can also find exercise and diet buddies to help make the transition into a healthy lifestyle easier and more fun.
- Check Yourself: Regular yearly screenings with a doctor can check your progress and make sure you are doing the right thing. If you cannot control your blood pressure through lifestyle changes, your doctor may recommend adding medications, or changing around your diet and exercise program. Regular checkups are also a great way to make sure your cholesterol levels are normal and your organs are functioning properly.
- Keep It Up: Controlling high blood pressure and managing a healthy weight is a lifelong goal. Continuing to exercise, and follow a sensible diet and lifestyle is an excellent way to live a long, healthy life.
Source: Mayo Clinic–High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-blood-pressure/DS00100
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …