Here are 10 empowering break up song. If you date, you're bound to be on the unwilling receiving end of a break-up at some point or other. These are some amazing songs to help you get through those times. They are in no particular order, so just head on over to Youtube and give them a listen.
- "I Will Survive" (Gloria Gaynor). Most empowering break up song ever. "Weren't you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbyes; did you think I'd crumble? Did you think I'd lay down and die – oh no not I! I will survive." Amazing lyrics, great tune. It's impossible to feel powerless listening to this song.
"Cry Me a River" (Justin Timberlake). Written post-Britney Spears breakup, this song (coupled with "Goes Around, Comes Around) is a strong reminder that people need to be aware that karma works. it's practically a given that if you treat somebody in a heartless fashion, that's what you will get in return.
- "Untouchable Face" (Ani DiFranco). Sometimes, we just need to be able to sing the effinheimer to get past the pain. Nobody does that cuter than Ani. The rest of the lyrics don't sound terribly empowering, but the chorus is a blast.
- "Would I Lie to You" (Eurythmics). Identifying with a strong, self-assured person rocks when you've been sucker punched on the emotional front. Annie Lennox makes it very clear that she is leaving, and she'll be fine on her own.
"These Boots are Made for Walking" (Nancy Sinatra or Jessica Simpson). Yeah. It really doesn't matter who says "it's over" first, it's a matter of how you comport yourself after the breakup. This song makes it clear that she's not waiting around for a follow-up call.
- "Hit the Road, Jack" (Ray Charles). The lyrics are about a man who is just a slacker, and she tosses him. But the music and Ray's voice, coupled with "Doncha come here no more, no more, no more, no more!" make it a greatly empowering break up song.
"There You Go" (Pink). This is a woman who knows how to end a relationship. She recognizes mind games, gives him a chance to be honest, talk it out, but if he just wants to play her? Sorry, man. There you go.
- "So What" (Pink). This song was penned and performed after her husband (Corey Hart) cheated on her. Their marriage was derailed for a year or so, but apparently they are back together. Check out the video, it's really funny (and Corey is in it).
"Love Stinks" (J. Geils Band). Sometimes you have to go old school to deal with a broken heart. The lyrics are a bit mundane, but everybody joins in for "LOVE STINKS!!" The empowering songs are the ones that take all the sentimentality out of the relationship and breaks it down to the basics. Love stinks. Truer words were never spoken.
- "Break Up Song" (Greg Kihn Band). "They don't write 'em like that anymore." Nothing worse than the first slow song when you've just lost your 'forever love'. This song brings across the anger of not being part of a couple anymore. Anger is very empowering when you're trying not to remember the good times.
Regardless of whose idea the break up was, both sides are going to be hurting for awhile, and there's no way around it. You have to go through it to get over it. So put on some empowering break up songs and just dance and sing along. Feel what you need to feel. Have a few drinks, and put that era of your life firmly in the past.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.