HBO’s new animated comedy series might leave some people yearning for ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show.” From the show’s origins to the discovery of Karl Pilkington, here are a few things fans might want to know about the irreverent cartoon show.
- “The Ricky Gervais Show” started on radio. The first entry on the list of ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show” goes back to the series’ origins. Before Gervais and his writing partner, Stephen Merchant, created “The Office,” they had a few radio shows in Britain. When they launched a weekly show on Xfm London in 2001, Karl Pilkington joined their team. Pilkington would not receiving billing as part of the on-air team for some time to come.
- Karl Pilkington is the producer. How “the little round-headed buffoon that is Karl Pilkington” became a part of the Gervais-Merchant team is an interesting entry on the list of ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show.” Pilkington was originally the producer of the radio show, but Gervais and Merchant soon started incorporating him into on-air bits. In 2003, Pilkington became one of the series’ stars.
- From radio to podcast. After a little over four seasons on air, the radio show became a podcast. In association with the United Kingdom's "Guardian" website, digital episodes were released every Monday for twelve weeks straight.
- A Guinness World Record holder. The podcasts that would later inspire the animated series hold a prestigious spot on the list of ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show.” During the months of January and February 2006, the podcasts held the number one ranking in the world for digital downloads. The following year, they nabbed the Guinness World Record title for World's Most Downloaded Podcast.
- Karl really keeps a aiary. One of the more popular segments on the cartoon series is “Karl’s Diary.” Not everyone knows the story behind the bit, so it finds a place on the list of ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show.” Pilkington actually started jotting down thoughts in a date book while on vacation with his girlfriend, Suzanne, in Gran Canaria.
- Karl makes up monkey news. Pilkington is also responsible for the next item on the list of ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show.” He is the creative force behind the segment known as “Monkey News.” In each episode, Pilkington reports on an event featuring a simian protagonist. The radio show version of the bit was originally titled “Chimpanzee That.”
- Gervais and Merchant’s long collaboration. The longstanding collaboration between Gervais and Merchant makes the list of ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show.” The writers originally met in 1997 when Gervais hired Merchant to be his assistant at Xfm radio. They eventually became co-hosts, then creators of TV series like “The Office” and “Extras.” They have a new show in development in which they will co-star with the diminutive actor Warwick Davis called “Life’s Too Short.”
- The producers have a Wild Brain. The creative force behind the animation needs to be included on the list of ten facts about “The Ricky Gervais Show.” Wild Brain brings the cartoons to life. Their other famous works include the kid’s shows “Yo Gabba Gabba!” and “Higglytown Heroes.”
- Ricky Gervais, one of the most influential people. Ricky Gervais has become a major media force in the last few years. His United Kingdom and United States versions of “The Office” reinvigorated the mockumentary style now used on shows like “Modern Family” and “Parks and Recreation.” He will host the Golden Globes for a second time. While it wasn’t a big surprise that he was included on "Time" magazine’s list of 100 Most Influential People, it was an unexpected treat that Karl Pilkington wrote the piece about Gervais for the magazine.
- “The Ricky Gervais Show” is a hit. HBO had aired only five episodes of the animated series when they decided to pick it up for a second season. Despite the fact that the show doesn’t get great ratings, the cable network clearly wants to keep their association with the comedian.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.