10 Family Rafting Tips
These 10 family rafting tips are just a small amount of the information to consider before taking this adventure with your family, but this list is a compilation of the most important factors to remember.
- Allow extra time. Try not to plan every part of your family rafting trip. There are often stops along the way or areas to explore when it ends. Allow time for spontaneity for your family's adventure.
- Choose an appropriate river. Take into consideration the ages and skill levels of all family members going on the trip. Be sure to choose a river that is not too difficult, yet not so under the skill level of the family that it causes boredom.
- Ask what to bring. An essential family rafting tip is to ask the facility what you are required to bring as far as food and water. Some trips are all-inclusive and include these basics.
- Ask the facility about restrictions and requirements. An important family rafting tip is to be sure to know the age restrictions and skill requirements of the trip. It would certainly ruin your family's outing to get there and have to turn around because you don't meet the restrictions/requirements.
- Check to see if you need to arrange transportation. Be sure to be aware if you need to arrange transportation from your parked vehicle to or from the river. Some companies provide a shuttle for convenience while others require you to arrange your own transportation.
- Think about shelter. If you are making your excursion last overnight, an important family rafting tip to remember is to bring shelter. Some companies will provide tents or sleeping bags for rent on site. For those that do not offer this option, consider a tent that is not too bulky so it doesn't take up too much room, but be sure it is large enough to fit the entire family.
- Proper attire. Always be sure to wear proper clothing for the weather as well as the water temperature. Light clothing might be appropriate for a summer adventure on a sunny day, while layering might be needed in cooler temperatures when the water could be cold.
- Proper footwear. If you are including time to explore the area around the river, consider hiking boots or comfortable sneakers. A very important family rafting tip is to consider waterproof footwear during the trip down the river. Very wet sneakers can prove to be very uncomfortable.
- Packing items in proper containers. A family rafting tip that can't go overlooked is to pack everything in waterproof bags or containers. Everything inside the raft can become very wet going down the river. Everything should be put into proper containers to avoid damage.
- Don't bring anything valuable. This final family rafting tip could be the most important to keep in mind. Consider leaving any valuables, including the favorite teddy bear, behind. There is always a chance of losing things from the raft while going down the river.
Posted on: Apr. 21, 2010